Yorktown National Cemetery

White Flint Bill

Sergeant
044.jpg

After the siege of Yorktown in 1862, the town became the site of a Union garrison and hospital for the remainder of the war. During the war the Federals began burying their dead between the first and second American/French siege lines from the 1781 Battle of Yorktown. Now the area is a small national cemetery, holding the remains of 2,183 Union soldiers, most of whom are unidentified.

Here is list of those who identities are known.

046.jpg

During my visit I took photos of a couple of representative markers, but for some reason neglected to get a picture of the cemetery itself.

047.jpg

Many of the graves hold 2 or 3 bodies.

045.jpg

View attachment 206737

After the siege of Yorktown in 1862, the town became the site of a Union garrison and hospital for the remainder of the war. During the war the Federals began burying their dead between the first and second American/French siege lines from the 1781 Battle of Yorktown. Now the area is a small national cemetery, holding the remains of 2,183 Union soldiers, most of whom are unidentified.

Here is list of those who identities are known.

View attachment 206736

During my visit I took photos of a couple of representative markers, but for some reason neglected to get a picture of the cemetery itself.

View attachment 206735

Many of the graves hold 2 or 3 bodies.

View attachment 206734
Thank you. Living in Virginia this will be added to my summer trips.

Back