Yellow Tavern: Stuart's Last Battle

DSC01843.JPG

A business trip recently took @Southern Unionist and me to Glen Allen, Va and the site of Jeb Stuart's fatal wounding. We were surprised to find this lovely memorial nestled in a quaint neighborhood. Erected by his cavalry men about 30 feet from where he was struck, it was dedicated on June 18, 1888 by Fitzhugh Lee, the acting governor of Virginia. Fitzhugh Lee was a former division commander in Stuart's cavalry. I hope you enjoy this picture tour courtesy of @Southern Unionist .

DSC01846.JPG

DSC01849.JPG

The memorial stands stately and tall, much like the man himself.
DSC01853.JPG

DSC01855.JPG

DSC01850.JPG

The 2nd National Flag of the C.S.A. waves in the Virginia breeze nearby.
DSC01858.JPG

DSC01848.JPG

This is truly beautiful countryside.
DSC01845.JPG

Just to clarify, the two pics (first and last) where the small cannon is seen in an open field, this was a prime Confederate artillery location in the battle of Yellow Tavern, now the site of a Hilton hotel and golf course. After his mortal wounding, Jeb Stuart was taken to this general area. The exact spot of his death is not known. The more elaborate memorial site is at the location of his fatal injury. He was shot out in the road, about 30 feet away from the monument. It is on a quiet, dead end residential street, formerly a main route, later replaced by US-1 and then by I-95.

@War Horse , in case you or others want to visit in the future the monument and wayside marker to J.E.B. Stuart is on the west side of Telegraph Road. From Exit 43 on Interstate 295 go north 1/2 mile on U.S. 1. Turn right on Virginia Center Parkway 1/2 mile, turn right (south) on Telegraph Road and proceed 0.2 mile.
Thank you. It was tricky as I remember.

I used to work just a mile or two from the Stuart marker. Most of the battlefield is gone. The actual historical marker is on Route 1 at least a mile south of the marker location.

A business trip recently took @Southern Unionist and me to Glen Allen, Va and the site of Jeb Stuart's fatal wounding. We were surprised to find this lovely memorial nestled in a quaint neighborhood. Erected by his cavalry men about 30 feet from where he was struck, it was dedicated on June 18, 1888 by Fitzhugh Lee, the acting governor of Virginia. Fitzhugh Lee was a former division commander in Stuart's cavalry. I hope you enjoy this picture tour courtesy of @Southern Unionist .

Thank you for the tour!

Just to clarify, the two pics (first and last) where the small cannon is seen in an open field, this was a prime Confederate artillery location in the battle of Yellow Tavern, now the site of a Hilton hotel and golf course. After his mortal wounding, Jeb Stuart was taken to this general area. The exact spot of his death is not known. The more elaborate memorial site is at the location of his fatal injury. He was shot out in the road, about 30 feet away from the monument. It is on a quiet, dead end residential street, formerly a main route, later replaced by US-1 and then by I-95.
He was taken to Richmond, where he passed away, the site where the home stood, is now a Richmond Police parking lot

Very nice pictures , glad that it was not destroyed by the state highway commission .Wonder if the people understand the importance of this memorial as to the loss of Stuart.Can you answer the question that I have not found the answer to ,was Stuart not aware of Union calvary in his local there by was not prepared ? Did he not post sentries out ? The issue is as with Guesburg that Start again demonstrated that he read his own papers \ What happened to Jackson was not going to happen to him/ Just the Union cavlary did not read the same papers and they were much better now than when he had all the glory Remember the Union cavlary he ran up at Guesburgh

Thanks for the pictures. Surprised that the highway commission did not pave the road thought here or some civilian correction party not Request that this be destroyed ,have not found it yet . Have a inquiry ,was Stuart surprised by the Union calvary .did he not have sentries posted as would be the general accepted order esp; in area his troops where located/? The Union calvary was not the same one that he had fought in the first years while Stuart seems to failed in realizing this,Wish that someone would write a bio on comparing Stuart with other noted Confederated commander .Forrest to start then Hampton.Include some Union cal.. commanders just to make it interesting;

I have one inquiry as to this battle. I have read several accounts of the battle where some state that he was taken off guard by the Union calvary that he had not posted any sentries and that he had information that there were Union calvary out in the area.Then there are those which state the opposite account .I tend to see Stuart as the Romantic Cavalier who tends to have total disregard for authority or military procedures as posting guards or maintaining contact with your superiors ,Gettysburg. Which tale is correct or is there another one? Stuart seems to have failed to consider that the improvement of Union calvary from the early years of the war.

Back