Year of descision for young men of the South

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
On April 16, 1862, the Confederate Congress passed a conscription law which required all men aged 18 to 35 (with exemptions) to serve in the Confederate Army.

This was deemed necessary, as the original enthusiastic volunteers' one year terms were about to expire, and some setbacks, especially in the West, so worried the Confederate government that they felt compelled to resort to coercion rather than rely on the 'patriotism' of the young men of the Confederacy.

There has been no book since Conscription and Conflict in the Confederacy, by Albert Merton Moore (1924), which has addressed this subject in any depth, aside from some regional studies.

Moore's book addresses almost exclusively the effects of conscription on the Confederate Army, and all but ignores the effects of the conception acts on the lives of the individual men living under the Confederacy or their families.

----

It seems to me that this subject might be re-examined more comprehensively to address not just the fighting manpower of the Confederate Army, but also the effects it had on the Southern citizens as well.

When the war began, there were already many militant young men ready and willing to fight against the "Northern Aggressors". They did cheerfully enlist and go to war.

At the same time, there were many more young Southern men ambivalent about the conflict or even of Unionist sympathies. In 1862, these had to make a choice to actively take sides. Otherwise they would very likely be subject to recriminations.

Here was a great point of decision for many young men not yet committed to the Confederacy, especially in areas of the border South Confederate states, and those middle south states such as Tennessee and North Carolina, and most predominantly, those Appalachian regions stretching from Virgina thru Alabama.

The terms of the Conscription Act, especially it's exemptions, were a major point of contention for men of Confederate persuasions.

Many, who may have stayed home to protect their homes and families, enlisted in the Confederate army, with the belief that that the Confederate government would protect their homes and families in the duration.

Many others, who distrusted the Confederate government enlisted in the Union Army, especially as it came down in the West thru Kentucky and Tennessee.

Still other Unionists banded together to form anti-confederate units, some acting as guerrillas, others organizing into regiments which were eventually absorbed into the Federal Army.

1862 was the year of descision for the previously uncommitted young men of the South.

-

Sam,

I can't say I've read a tremendous amount on the topic, but what I have read suggests that the reaction to the conscription act varied a good deal depending on location. Jonathan Dean Sarris's A Separate Civil War, for example, indicates that in mountain communities of northern Georgia the conscription act (together with other measures such as impressment and tax in kind policies) generated a good deal of resentment and outright hostility. On the other hand, in Why Confederates Fought, Aaron Sheehan-Dean suggests that, by and large, Virginians were initially unhappy about the act but came to accept it as necessary.

If there were in fact different reactions in different parts of the south, it may make sense. In Virginia, the home front and the war front were pretty much the same. Therefore, Virginians fighting in the ANV perceived themselves, and were perceived by their families, as fighting for both their homes and their families, and their country, at the same time. In mountain Georgia, however, soldiers were for most of the war fighting far from their home communities, and it was harder to connect front-line service to protection of home and family. This is also consistent with Chandra Manning's thesis (What This Cruel War Was Over) that protection of family, home and home community was a principal motivator for southern soldiers.

The issues also get confused because they tend to become part of a larger debate over whether internal dissention contributed to the loss of the war. Gary Gallagher points to the tremendously high rates of white male participation to argue that internal dissention was not a significant factor. Others like William Freehling (The South vs. The South) take a different view (although Freehling in particular is looking more broadly at the entire region [including border states and areas] and the entire population [including slaves]).

Gentlemen, this may be one of those less frequent occasions when I agree with everything you've written. (I don't hear any applause?)

As you can see from my signature, the families I'm closest to were on several sides of that dilemma.

I don't recall much mention of internal dissention in my research among the various armies, though that might well have occurred. I thnk the dissention was more with the soldiers and the fact they were in the army at a time when their families were left unattended. That would have been a brutal sense of bewilderment and I suspect was widely felt by many from the areas being "invaded" by US Army troops. As the outcome of the war became easy enough to predict, particularly after Hood's 'invasion' of Tennessee, many of these men simply voted with their feet.

I
don't recall much mention of internal dissention in my research among the various armies, though that might well have occurred. I thnk the dissention was more with the soldiers and the fact they were in the army at a time when their families were left unattended.
Hafta kinda go with that one, Larry. In my reading as well, there hasn't been that much of "I need to protect my family." As in, I'm from Tennesse and I'm fighting in Virginia and I need to protect my family." Or Georgia, or North Carolina. The argument becomes valid when the damyankees took Kentucky and Tennessee and major parts of Mississippi. But these guys whose property was threatened were mostly in the east. Kinda takes away a bit from the "protection of hearth and home," doesn't it?

ole

So you're a loyal southerner, who wants a seprate country but might not be willing to join the fight yourself, for whatever reasons.. leaving family, taking up arms against your own country.. whatever. If you are already on the fence, amd are then forced to choose a side through the conscription act, your sense of personal liberty might make you resentful to a government that MAKES you fight, instead of lets you fight if you want. Is there anything as far as research goes that might suggest a number of fence stradlers that went north rather than be forced to fight in the south?

Whole Regiments were formed from southerners to fight for the US instead of against, every state of the CS provided numbers of troops to fight for the US. That's probably too vague Dred but there are numerous stories of individuals who went out of their way to avoid CS Conscription for a whole host of reasons.

So you're a loyal southerner, who wants a seprate country but might not be willing to join the fight yourself, for whatever reasons.. leaving family, taking up arms against your own country.. whatever. If you are already on the fence, amd are then forced to choose a side through the conscription act, your sense of personal liberty might make you resentful to a government that MAKES you fight, instead of lets you fight if you want. Is there anything as far as research goes that might suggest a number of fence stradlers that went north rather than be forced to fight in the south?

Dred,

Let me start by saying again that my opinions are provisional and based on limited and non-systematic reading. I really do encourage others to tell me I'm wrong.

To the extent that some white southerners wound up fighting for the North, I don't think the process was, "Conscription? I'm outa here." Rather there was an escalating process by which non-enthusiastic southerners were harassed by neighbors, hounded by local militia and impressment officers, perhaps had livestock or crops stolen, barns burned or family members threatened. The union army then approaches, and they decide to make the journey to union lines, where they discover that they can take revenge on their persecutors by signing up.

This is basically the story that Jonathan Dean Sarris tells in his A Separate Civil War. True, it's a limited regional study, but highly recommended.

How many people are we talking about? In her book, Loyalty and Loss: Alabama's Unionists in the Civil War and Reconstruction (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press 2004), Margaret M. Storey estimated that about 15% of the white male population in Alabama were unconditional unionists in 1860-61. Assuming that percentage is accurate and representative of other states, presumably, they were most of the potential pool, and we are talking about some unknown portion of that population. US Army records presumably shed light on how many white southerners formally enlisted.

The following was originally published in the book, The Civil War in Song and Story, by Frank Moore, in 1889.

"Camp near Decatur, July 16.

The subject on which I wish to write, is the condition and suffering of the mountaineers in Northern and Central Alabama. There is a vast valley of rich soil extending from beyond Tuscumbia west of Huntsville in the east. In this valley the great planters live. Here is their great cotton-growing region and the wealth of the state.

These mountains are peopled with quite another class of inhabitants, short of highfalutin aristocracy-a plane, candid, industrious people. Now these poor classes, deprived of culture, as they climb the mountains, pass through the gorges, and roam over the plains, think for themselves.

It came to pass in the course of human events, when Jefferson Davis wished these honest-hearted men to assist him and caring out his great, grand, and overwhelming scheme of unnatural rebellion against the government they cherished, they said no. Things went on without opposition only as they opposed its course to destruction at the ballot-box. Here they met the enemies of their country every time, and almost with a unanimous voice did they declare against secession in every form. When the affairs of the state had assumed a malignant form, and were far on the road to ruin in wild desperation, they'll only expostulated; but when the abominable, uncivil, anti-republican conscript act passed, and was being enforced by an unfeeling, heartless band of ruffians; when confusion, dire confusion, had come up on them, turning brotherhood against brother, and father and against son; when squalid poverty stared them in the face and depression was ensuing, caused by their being driven from home to seek a place of safety in the mountains, in caverns, and dens,-they opened their eyes to gaze upon the painful site of liberty gone, constitution prostrated, home gone, and with it quietude and honor. To escape despotism and these heartless ruffians, men left their homes and fled to the mountains. Some made for the Union army, coming through the mountain pathways for twenty, forty, sixty, and some even ninety miles, having a complete line of friends to help them extending from Decatur to near Montgomery- the best underground railroad ever heard of or ever established.

All old men and young men came asking and praying the army to assist them, demanding protection from the old flag, and asking to live and to fight under the old Constitution, declaring they only owed allegiance to the old government, and it was the only one they would fight for.

Their piteous cries moved our colonel, A. D. Streigt, who asked for a leave of absence for four days, that his regiment might visit the mountains, prying into the caverns, and ascertained more positively the true condition of those loyal persecuted men. Accordingly, early Saturday morning, July 12th, with the Fourteenth Cavalry, and a sufficient number of our Alabamians for pilots, the Fifty-first crossed the river, and set out for the mountain regions. On we moved across the valley, while the sun poured its rays upon us- not in Indiana sun, but the sun away down in Alabama. Now this sun was shining much hotter than the sun shines any day in Indiana. Col. Streight steered us for Col. Davis's, who lived twenty-five miles out from Decatur, at a pass in the mountains called Davis's Gap.

We arrived at Col. Davis's at dark, and merciful heavens, what did we there behold! An elderly lady came to the door, who was between Sixty and Seventy years old. She was asked does Col. Davis live here? She answered he did. Is he home? She answered he is not.

Said Col. Streight, "we are Union troops; have heard of your suffering, and have come to relieve you." She still hesitated. "Do you believe me?" She said she would dislike to dispute his word, but a young lady came to the door and asked, "have you any of the Alabama boys with you?" They were called up from the rear. While coming, the young lady remarked, "We have been so often deceived by guerrillas, that we "- The boys came. "Is that you, John?" Instantly she sprang into his arms, threw her arms around him, while she exclaimed: "Thank God, we are safe." "Now," answered the elderly lady, "I can have the old man here in a few minutes." "Where is he?" "Just back in the mountains." What! An old man of seventy-three years, resident of the same farm for more than forty-four years, known by all man is a quiet, peaceable, and pious man-to be driven from his home, to have to seek refuge in the mountains, in the caverns, and dismal, secluded retreats, where the eyes of only the wild beasts had gazed! Yes, it is this old gentleman who had been driven from his home, simply because he loved his country.

The night passed away without any strange occurrence and morning came on. We started out, three companies strong, to scour the country round, to, if possible, find the wounded man, but after searching, inquiring after, and tracing until he abandoned his horse, we came to the conclusion that further search would be fruitless, fearing the rascals had pursued and murdered him. He may, there is a slight possibility he will, come up yet. They stole his horse and accoutrements. While this search was going on, companies were sent out in almost every direction to scour the surrounding country. When we all met, in the evening, some have arrested prominent secessionists, who have saddles, some have pantaloons taken from artillerymen they had previously murdered several miles away, and other horses. Sunday evening found us with over fifty recruits. They came to us all day Monday like doves to the window. Monday evening we had speaking exercises, in which Col. Streight, Adjutant Ramsay, and Chris Sheets took part. The speeches of the colonel and adjutant were such as they should have delivered, but that of Sheets was a strange tune coming from an Alabamian. Sheets represented Winston county in the convention when Alabama is said to have seceded. He was prominent among the very few in that convention who would not and did not sign the ordnance of secession.

Sheets is a young man of fine promise and makes a splendid speech. He declared to his downtrodden countrymen that the time had come for them to act, and act they must, either in an army they had no sympathy with, and in a cause for which they could have no reasonable hope of success-must thus fight for an enemy they loved and for a cause they hated; or, on the other hand, join the army of the United States, fight in a cause they loved it, among their friends, contend against a foe of God and man woman, one they hated, and one that must be put down before peace, quietude and prosperity could again prevail. He advised them to join the army and be men, and fight the Southern Confederacy to hell and back again. Said he, "To-morrow morning I am going to the Union army. I am going to expose this fiendish villany before the world. They shall hear from me. I have slept in the mountains, in caves and caverns, till I am become musty; my health and manhood are failing me. I will stay here no longer till I am enabled to dwell in quiet and home."

Tuesday morning came-the morning we had set, and were compelled by our time being out to return to camp, thirty-one or thirty-two miles away. At about seven o'clock a company of about twenty men were seen approaching our lines, being led by a woman. They entered amid great applause. She told her story in her peculiar way, with her own peculiar gestures, the tears streaming from her eyes. She said, "I knew I could pass those guerrillas, and find my husband and son," who had fled for their lives some thirty-four miles back in the mountains. The lady, not in good health, and fifty-five years old, had ridden a poor old horse over the mountains, tracing the mountain pathways through the gorges and around the precipices, sixty-four miles, counting the distance to and from her friends, and had made the trip in thirty hours, hunting her friends and cooking their breakfast in the time. These acts (for there are many such) should be known. Such heroines from the mountains have manifested more devotion for their country and friends than any of our Revolutionary mothers, whose acts of patriotism are held an everlasting remembrance. When the historian tells of noble deeds of daring and devotion to country, Anna Campbell, of Morgan County, Alabama, should stand first on the scroll of fame. It is no use to talk-when this old lady related her simple tale, there were but a few were not affected. Adjutant Ramsay wept, and it is said that even Colonel Streight shed tears. I know I did. I felt it was noble to weep on such occasions.

I visited an old patriot of eighty-four years. He was blind, so that he had not left his home in seven years-a peaceful, quiet old man, ripening for a better land, for he was devotedly pious. Now, simply because this old gentleman had raised his family well, so that they were all for the Union, and none of them in the Southern army, these friends incarnate were thirsting for his blood, and had threatened him with hanging; for they had taken one of his neighbors not less virtuous, and only ten years younger.

Time came for us to leave, and our boys, having divided the rations with the Alabama recruits, were on less than half rations. This was the hottest day of the season, and there were no ambulances in which to carry the week. But there could be no falling out, for we must pass through a hostile country. The men were formed into a long line, for we had about one hundred and fifty recruits from the mountains. And now comes the most touching scene of the expedition. We had left our families when it was heart-rending to part with loved ones; but what was that to parting here? We left our wives in the bosom of a sympathizing community; but these poor men must now leave their families in the midst of an unfeeling, heartless set-a community who would turn their wives out, or burn their houses over their heads, or destroy their scanty means of substance, and, maybe, as they have done several times before, outrage their persons. The wives paid their husbands farewell, bidding them go, and they would take care of themselves as best they could. Mothers wept when they bid their sons good by, with their blessings on them. Forward! was the command-a wild shriek- and we move from scenes of sufferings such as we have never before seen."

-

MEN OF THE HILLS!

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image RemovedYeomanry. Loyal Southerners. Come to Your Country's Call!

To put down TREASON and REBELLION and hand down to our Children, unimpaired, the Rich Legacy of the Glorious Union achieved and sealed with the blood of our forefathers.

DO NOT CAST YOUR LOT
WITH THE REBELS.

The secessionists, the flatlanders, the planters, the so-called gentlemen whose fine daughters do not acknowledge your existence would have you fight their RICH MAN'S WAR. If you join their rebel army it will be a POOR MAN'S FIGHT.

TROUBLESOME TIMES IN ALABAMA FOR UNION MEN.

Yohann. The smoke from your pipe is clouding your perspective. (Shoot! Went to "quick reply" and don't have the crutch of an emoticon.) Nevermind. Couldn't resist the noodge.

ole

Conscription

The Confederacy made many mistakes, at the start of the war. One was thinking it was a short war and recruiting soldiers, for one year.
Conscription left a taste of "servitute" in the mouths of the veterans, who were now "volunteered" for more service.

The problem the Confederacy had in the mountains of the South is well documented. As the war went on and the Confederacy was unable to protect their territory, desertions increased. As families in areas with small numbers of slaves were having problems getting enough food, soldiers, previous loyal, would leave the army and head home. Some areas became solid 'Union' areas in the Confederate backyard. The deserters and conscription avoiders, soon held more power than the 'home guard.'
As the tide was turning against the Confederacy, the soldiers from the mountains had less and less reason to defend slavery. Many a private and his family at home had concluded the war was lost, long before the generals let such thoughts cross their mind.

Just read an observation on "desertion" that I thik is worthy to add -- just to put a perspective on the desertion statistics. It seems that in the regular army, in 1856, the desertion rate was about 32 percent. Forty and fifty percent doesn't look all that high any more.

ole

Thank you, Shane. "No lutefisk" sounds good to me. (My brother might come looking for you, though.)

For you poor, misbegotten easterners, westerners and southerners, lutefisk is cod soaked in lye to dissolve the bones, rinsed, dried and sold as a brick to be boiled for a day or two when it's warm enough to stay outside when it is being prepared.

Scandihoovians eat it at least once per year to remind themselves why their ancestors left the old country.

Shane has characterized it has having the consistency of snot. He's mostly spot on. What texture it has is negligible. The pot you boil it in becomes unusable for any other purpose. My brother-in-law (a Bavarian) dislikes it intensely. But he likes sauerkraut, so that works against his taste in food.

ole

We eat sauerkraut with our cornbread down here in Dixie. Could be my preponderance of German genes.... Good source of fiber. That other stuff we can probably do without.

Different strokes for different folks, Larry. Ain't no telling what people will eat. On another board, we're arguing about gumbo and buttermilk. Ought to make you some krumkaka. Doubledog guaranteed to make you an overnight convert.

On the other hand, sauerkraut and cornbread? EEEEEooooew!

ole

Back