Restricted Yacht Haven Grande Removes Crew And Vessel Carrying Confederate Flag From Marina

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Yacht Haven Grande Removes Crew And Vessel Carrying Confederate Flag From Marina
Breaking News / Featured / News / Top Stories / Virgin Islands / June 14, 2017

ST. THOMAS — Yacht Haven Grande on Wednesday issued a statement regarding the incident that occurred at Brewers Bay on Sunday, where a vessel with three Caucasian men was seen prominently displaying a Confederate flag, swiftly igniting the ire of the Virgin Islands community, including Acting Governor Osbert Potter.

More: http://viconsortium.com/virgin-isla...vessel-carrying-confederate-flag-from-marina/

A Governor of a US territory can tell folks what flag they can fly? Wow, no Constitution anymore, I suppose.

MattL

Yacht Haven Grande Removes Crew And Vessel Carrying Confederate Flag From Marina
Breaking News / Featured / News / Top Stories / Virgin Islands / June 14, 2017

ST. THOMAS — Yacht Haven Grande on Wednesday issued a statement regarding the incident that occurred at Brewers Bay on Sunday, where a vessel with three Caucasian men was seen prominently displaying a Confederate flag, swiftly igniting the ire of the Virgin Islands community, including Acting Governor Osbert Potter.

More: http://viconsortium.com/virgin-isla...vessel-carrying-confederate-flag-from-marina/

A Governor of a US territory can tell folks what flag they can fly? Wow, no Constitution anymore, I suppose.

I'm not really sure on the specifics or how things work, but from the article you linked I see:

The men, according to Yacht Haven, were guests of its marina, with the company being made aware of the Sunday incident on Monday. “Yacht Haven Grande were made aware of the inappropriate actions/behavior of some marina guests, Monday afternoon the 12th of June, 2017. YHG took the immediate decision to remove the offending crew and vessel from the marina, as such the vessel departed YHG that same evening,” reads the statement.

Which I gather the "Yacht Haven Grande" is a private marina? If so they simply were controlling what happens in their private marina.

That's how it seemed in that article, though again I don't know if it is indeed a private marina and how these things work.

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
A private marina can do as it chooses. An acting US Governor saying it won't be tolerated anywhere on the island not so much.

MattL

A private marina can do as it chooses. An acting US Governor saying it won't be tolerated anywhere on the island not so much.

Well he can sort of say what he wants, if he actually tries to act whether he has the power or not is completely different. Now I disagree with what he said, though in current times it's hard to single him out for saying things that aren't enforceable when an example has been set at a much higher level.

Fortunately there are checks and balances. Now I don't know what they are specifically in the Virgin Islands, maybe there are fewer there.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Maybe he was proud of what happened and was speaking in a general sense about the anti-racist sensibilities of those in the USVI.