Wyman White v Chaimberlain at Gettysburg

Specster

Sergeant Major
Was watch acw series on AHC last night about day to. All the credit was given to White and virtually none to Chamberlain. Do u agree with this.

At little round top

Paging @cash and @johan_steele and @War Horse @unionblue those would be my go too guys for Gettysburg.
Leftyhunter

Thanks Lefty, This documentary had White being the lynch pin for day 2, little round top. They did not even refer to Chamberlain by name. Then again, they said the South made "one more charge" the next day, and left the field....In a documentary about Gettysburg, I dont see how u spend 20 seconds on the Confederates on day 3..

Sorry, I can't comment on what someone else has seen without knowing exactly what the film said. It seems to me much has been lost in the translation.

Wyman White started the battle with the Alabama men trying to flank the union at Slyder's Farm.....from there his sharpshooters fell back to Little Round Top, but not before inflicting heavy casualitys for their numbers - they were outnumbered, IMSMC, more than 30 to 1. (2000 Alabamians vs. 50 or less Sharpshooters).

That particular show on AHC had several errors of fact. I saw the segment on Little Round Top as well and wondered what had happened to Vincent's brigade. They did speak of the action at Slyder's but then made it sound as though those 50 sharpshooter did all the fighting on LRT.

That particular show on AHC had several errors of fact. I saw the segment on Little Round Top as well and wondered what had happened to Vincent's brigade. They did speak of the action at Slyder's but then made it sound as though those 50 sharpshooter did all the fighting on LRT.

That was my entire motivation for starting this post. They had several historians stating that the actions of W. White and company at Slyder's Farm and moving back toward LRT, firing as they retreated, was the reason LRT was not taken. They do not even mention Chamberlain by name.....Odd???

day
That was my entire motivation for starting this post. They had several historians stating that the actions of W. White and company at Slyder's Farm and moving back toward LRT, firing as they retreated, was the reason LRT was not taken. They do not even mention Chamberlain by name.....Odd???

Did not see it, either but if that's the intent, perhaps controversial on purpose? You know how ' new ' theories sometimes cause a big argument, maybe trying to write off the famous LRT story ( with or without Chamberlain ) as some kind of legend?

OR, part of the ever-popular anti-Chamberlain campaign? Seems extreme if so. Whatever one thinks of the guy, he did what he did plus Good Grief. How many other regiments, North and South fought there? How many men died? Vincent and Warren, too what of their contributions? It's not terrific theory, negating so many sacrifices, so many men's last moments on this planet and why.

I'm sure White's action was as crazy good as many that day. Guessing White and his men would be kind of astonished to hear they saved LRT?

I haven't seen the show so can't comment beyond the question asked but, that being said, I do disagree. While it was important that the 2nd U.S. Sharpshooter drew Law's Alabamans towards the Round Tops, to give them the only credit is simply laughable. And to give one sergeant the most credit is ridiculous.

In all fairness, I'm not the biggest Chamberlain fan and think that the fighting on LRT has gotten too much attention, mainly due to the popularity of Gettysburg and Killer Angels, but this analysis seems to have gone way too far the other way.

Ryan

Back