Wringers And Itches And Boots, Oh My! Ad-stravaganza, 1861-1865

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
new ad crimper 1.jpg
new ad crimper 2.jpg

150 years later you can still buy hair crimpers. I'd still buy this one based solely on how beauteous one would be, as attested by Godey's, 1861.

new ad corsett.JPG

Little racey for the era, under clothing depicted in a newspaper read by men, too. But it worked- these corset slash help-hold-up- that 15 pound skirt inventions were extremely popular.

You know, with such emphasis on this fairly new American tradition of Black Friday shopping that it actually threatened to spill into Thanksgiving Thursday, occurred to me shopping as entertainment is a little odd of us. Not a Black Friday shopper myself but do not enjoy crowds, especially competitive crowds. Kudos to anyone who ventured out without Kevlar.

new ad itch.JPG

You'd stand in line at 5 a.m. the morning after Thanksgiving to bring this home....

Part of the sales pitch, those smooth tongued devils.
new ad itch 3.JPG

It's just, plain O.K. sometimes to appreciate, if not those ubiquitous ' Good Old Days ' then some simpler era. Maybe sheer envy for when it was so much simpler is why advertisements of the era are such gosh darn good entertainment ( truth in advertising not withstanding ).When not enlarging LoC photos to see how in blazes pontoon bridges were glued together, tend to browse these.

The 2019 models are out- I don't see anything I like better than this, it's 1864! I think it came with optional cup holders, not sure if the spare was a full tire or one of those you discover when in need, to be someone's misplaced Frisbee. ( before anyone looks it up, last sentence is a joke )
new ad car 1864.JPG

Truth in thread-vertising- ad was for a demonstration of the Family Steam Carriage, not a show room.

new ad wringer washer.JPG

And technology rocketed forward. If this was put on the market today, there'd be a law suit a minute- stories on a regular basis about children getting fingers crushed in these. Still- better than a rock.

new dentist.JPG

Isn't it wonderful? As if dentist office phobia wasn't enough, this gaping mouth full of large, pointed tools would finish you off.

new ad shoe store.jpg

Ok well, cute shoes- my crimped hair and I would might be tempted to stand outside Turner and Gwathmey's at 5 a.m. . I mean, cute shoes. Like you needed another reason.

Yes, I would. Try a pair.
new ad boot.JPG

Men could get interested too- in shoes, without the ' cute '.

new ad boot train top.jpg

Cigars- I think a tobacconist,
new ad cigars.JPG

Was one brother a lot shorter than his siblings? They're all looking at him like smoking stunted his growth.

new ad circus 2.JPG

One of these per paper. Barnum's couldn't beat Great Ocean, 1864. Upside down sharp shooting at the gallop? I'd be there. Isn't it a great ad?

new ad girl troop.jpg

WELL we've discussed female soldiers since they got home, in 1865. A female dance troop composed of Zouaves? Shopping until your feet hurt ( despite those boots )? Give them a rest, catch a show.

new ad headah.jpg

If Black Friday gives you a headache- there's always Dr. R.A. Wilson's pills. Go at once and buy a box.

There are of course more. Tomorrow- distracted by cute shoes. If I can find the Kevlar, may go scout what's left on the sales table.

Great posting! Snake oil peddlers have not really changed their modus operandi. Hopefully, some consumers of goods and healthcare have grown wiser.

Maybe/kinda? Some prescription medicines are so bizarre, think I'd rather take my chances with Dr. R.A. Wilson. Talk about modern snake oil- reading ' possible side effects ', you feel like you've just bought a ticket in the world's worst lottery.

But- bet those boots lasted a lifetime and into someone else's!

horse ad.JPG

Isn't this a little more tempting than current car ads?

ad 18 4.JPG

Could not tell you what it is, but would rather look at it than a pop up.

ad 1864.JPG

ad 2018.JPG

Besides being a great ad, that bit at the bottom is worth looking into. Anyone know why ' not cotton ' has been added to the cash-only policy at J.M. Latimer's, please. Love this one- JPK was probably familiar with this store- Husons were from Penn Yan.

Maybe/kinda? Some prescription medicines are so bizarre, think I'd rather take my chances with Dr. R.A. Wilson. Talk about modern snake oil- reading ' possible side effects ', you feel like you've just bought a ticket in the world's worst lottery.

But- bet those boots lasted a lifetime and into someone else's!
Yeah, I try not to dwell on the side effects of modern medicine. I keep repeating..”possible” to myself.

View attachment 212284
Isn't this a little more tempting than current car ads?

View attachment 212281
Could not tell you what it is, but would rather look at it than a pop up.

View attachment 212282

View attachment 212283
Besides being a great ad, that bit at the bottom is worth looking into. Anyone know why ' not cotton ' has been added to the cash-only policy at J.M. Latimer's, please. Love this one- JPK was probably familiar with this store- Husons were from Penn Yan.
It’s a comment on “Cotton is King” phrase. And people used to barter with cotton in really rural areas..

One of my favorites albeit seems post war by a bit. Victorian spokes models were more appealing- what you have to love are her apron, apparently created just for this ad and her expression. Seems not comfortable in front of a camera.

blacksmith ad.jpg

There's already a great conversation on Black Friday and shopping in another thread, no need to add yet another thread. What they bought ( and yes I know the whole Black Friday thing wasn't around ) always gives me a kick. And where they bought it.

Demorest's, I think their ad depicts the one on Broadway? That would tempt me out on Black Friday.
store demorests inside.JPG

There's already a great conversation on Black Friday and shopping in another thread, no need to add yet another thread. What they bought ( and yes I know the whole Black Friday thing wasn't around ) always gives me a kick. And where they bought it.

Demorest's, I think their ad depicts the one on Broadway? That would tempt me out on Black Friday.
View attachment 335712
Imagine how nice it would be to meet in a store like that and be pampered all day long. Sign me up!

Imagine how nice it would be to meet in a store like that and be pampered all day long. Sign me up!

Speaking of pampering- ran into what was the beauty salon of the day? You're probably more familiar with it than I am, the ' enameling ' salon? OH goodness. Women could be slathered all over face, neck, bosum and arms with a white paste- some treatments were to last weeks! It was brand, new to me. Their idea of being pampered and mine is awfully different.

Speaking of pampering- ran into what was the beauty salon of the day? You're probably more familiar with it than I am, the ' enameling ' salon? OH goodness. Women could be slathered all over face, neck, bosum and arms with a white paste- some treatments were to last weeks! It was brand, new to me. Their idea of being pampered and mine is awfully different.
Isn't that what Marie Antoinette did... with lead or arsenic or some such delightful substance? :eek:

Re: Black Friday- I see from the notices I am receiving that we know have Black Friday Week. Perhaps this is intended to prevent shoppers from being trampled trying to buy some ridiculous toy that their child CANNOT live without, but I expect there are less altruist motivations.:smile coffee:

Back