GRAPHIC Wounded soldiers at field hospital in yard of the Marye House in Fredericksburg, 1864

chubachus

First Sergeant
fredericksburg wounded1.jpg

wounded fredericksburg3.jpg

wounded fredericksburg.jpg

wounded fredericksburg2.jpg

fredericksburg wounded4.jpg

wounded fredericksburg6.jpg

wounded fredericksburg5.jpg

wounded fredericskburg5.jpg

The Native American soldiers in at least two of the photographs are believed to be members of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters wounded during the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. I think that all of the photographs in the series here were taken by Brady photographers. There is a possibly that James Gardner may have taken some of them as he is known to have taken a few photographs of wounded soldiers on the front porch of the Marye House at around the same time.

Last edited:
Question: The battle of Fredericksburg was fought in December. Why are the leaves still on the trees?

They were transported there after being wounded at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House (possibly the Wilderness as well) in May 1864 and photographed shortly after their arrival.

I just added the year to the title to prevent confusion with the two previous battles there in 1862 and 1863.

marye house wounded 1863.jpg

This photograph of wounded men in front of the Marye House is new to me. Unfortunately, no photographer is attributed. HA.com says it was taken c. 1863, which if true, could mean Andrew J. Russell took it as he documented the aftermath of the 1863 Second Battle of Fredericksburg.

Source.

I'm about to post the three other photos of the front of the Marye House taken around the same time.

Back