Wounded At Savage Station

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
cw wounded at savage station2.jpg

Guess what I was doing last night? Also do not remember seeing this one, although it seems very likely to have been posted before, it says it's bringing in the wounded at Savage Station. ' Says', I'm guessing maybe some of this kind of thing could be labeled incorrectly. Came across one of Hancock which just was NOT, looked like and elderly, obese uncle of his perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is neat. Where are you finding these?

Not sure where @JPK Huson 1863 found this one, but it came from the Library of Congress. You can find the original larger size here.

It is included in my Library of Congress Civil War Stereo Card Collection available here. The DVD (for your PC/Mac) includes 685 stereo cards in their original largest size as well as conversions so that you can view them in 3D with the included anaglyph (red/cyan) glasses.

Here is the largest version I could find online:
wounded-at-Savages-Staion-1s02812u.jpg

http://dotcw.com/war-views-wounded-at-savage-station/

This was taken in summer of 1862 during the Peninsula Campaign or Seven Days battles; Savage Station was used as a major Federal field hospital during the campaign. From there the wounded were transported out on railroad flatcars to White House Landing on the Pamunkey River, were placed aboard vessels and shipped north.

Could you post that one as well, please? Am really curious.

The poor guy, like Chamberlain, suffered from the Gettysburg wound for the rest of life. It was pretty bad- the nail extracted from it at first thought to be junk Confederates must be loading as shot. Turned out the ball had hit his saddle first, carried wood splinters and a nail deep into Hancock's inner thigh. For someone so notoriously erect and military, guessing enforced inactivity could have had something to do with Hancock's changed appearance. Just a guess.

han1.jpg

Earlier photo

han2.jpg
han3.jpg

Late and even later

The poor guy, like Chamberlain, suffered from the Gettysburg wound for the rest of life. It was pretty bad- the nail extracted from it at first thought to be junk Confederates must be loading as shot. Turned out the ball had hit his saddle first, carried wood splinters and a nail deep into Hancock's inner thigh. For someone so notoriously erect and military, guessing enforced inactivity could have had something to do with Hancock's changed appearance. Just a guess.

View attachment 97324

Earlier photo

View attachment 97325 View attachment 97326

Late and even later

Hancock suffered from diabetes which may have contributed to his weight gain.

Back