Would You Visit a Plantation?

• Yes

Votes: 79 97.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Deaereax.jpg

Devereaux in Natchez, MS - Photo by @Southern Unionist

Would you tour a plantation on your vacation? Personally, I love visiting these homes and hearing all of the stories. I certainly appreciate those that include the story of the slaves who built them and worked there. If I take a tour and the guide or docent doesn't mention that aspect of the place, I make sure I do. How about you? Do you visit plantations and why or why not?

I have and I would again should I ever have the opportunity. Plantations are interesting in and of themselves as they often were akin to small towns. The architecture is interesting and often beautiful. It often brings me a certain odd sensation to stand in an old place with a long history and just imagine who has stood there before and what they witnessed.

I certainly don't think that just visiting a plantation where slavery existed in any way implies that I condone the practice or am somehow celebrating it. That's way too PC an attitude for me. If you feel that way there's going to be a lot of places it's not OK to visit (like the White House).

Last edited:
I do and will continue to. I visit historic non plantation homes as well for a variety of reasons.

One- the historic famous people who often were owners

Two-as a modern day farm owner, I appreciate and love the history of farming and it's practices

Three-sometimes simply the beauty of the homes and settings.

Four- to learn how they lived and their beliefs

I have and I would again should I ever have the opportunity. Plantations are interesting in and of themselves as they often were akin to small towns. The architecture is interesting and often beautiful. It often brings me a certain odd sensation to stand in an old place with a long history and just imagine who has stood there before and what they witnessed.

I certainly don't think that just visiting a plantation where slavery existed in any way implies that I condone the practice or am somehow celebrating it. That's way too PC an attitude for me. If you feel that way there's going to be a lot of places it's not OK to visit (like the White House).

Agree I never understand those who are like how could one have weddings or parties there......as if they cant see its beauty

But in all honesty I often notice and reflect on the beauty while touring battlefields as well, it very well may have been a scene of horror and death 150 yrs ago, but has nothing to do with the scene I'm reflecting on today as far as beauty of the grounds, wildlife, or a sunset.

But in all honesty I often notice and reflect on the beauty while touring battlefields as well, it very well may have been a scene of horror and death 150 yrs ago, but has nothing to do with the scene I'm reflecting on today as far as beauty of the grounds, wildlife, or a sunset.

Battlefield sites can be very serene. They're a great place for contemplation and reflection. I actually think the soldiers would appreciate folks taking the time to do so.

I have toured a several, we even had traditional lunch (catered) at the plantation. I always left with mixed feelings. I have visited manors and estates in the North, I have visited castle and royal manors. I also had mixed feeling of these.

I have toured a several, we even had traditional lunch (catered) at the plantation. I always left with mixed feelings. I have visited manors and estates in the North, I have visited castle and royal manors. I also had mixed feeling of these.
The other internet group I attended musters with, would sometimes rent historic homes, and we would have meals catered there and a private tour.

I have before and I will again. I would be interested in the lives of the enslaved people who made the place work, as well as the folks in the "big house." I'd love to see the Whitney Plantation in Louisiana(I believe).
That's on my list too! I've read great things about the tour there.

Whitney is one of the last plantations I visited and I definitely recommend the tour there. The way that the site has been developed to tell the story of slavery at Whitney (and in the US) is really impressive. Going from Whitney to another plantation and hearing the guides talk about the "servants" and the "help" without acknowledging that these persons were slaves was quite jarring.

I've been to several. The first I ever visited was Sully Plantation back in the late 70's. I've been to Mount Vernon, & Monticello multiple times each. The last time I was at Mt Vernon, about a dozen years ago, I got to go inside Washington's tomb, to set a wreath near his sarcophagus.

If my powerball ever comes in, I'd want to buy an old plantation, & restore it. :cool:

The last one I've been to, isn't as famous. The Paxton House, in Buena Vista, VA. I got to go on a private tour a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Sure would have been to several in maryland just driving around and a few in virginia on vacation I like old properties and respect the architecture
You never know when they will be gone for good so see them while you can there is one still standing in owings mills where I work that was in my family needless to say that is one of the ONLY old buildings left in that area
1220111233a.jpg

Last year I toured Frogmore, its more for people interested in farming like me as the greathouse and most the slave quarters are gone, but get to see period and modern cotton gins and equipment.

Back