Would we have had a Civil War if slavery had been abolished from the start?

speedylee

Private
But the thread is about the war. The North didn't go to war because 'slavery' was on the secession documents. They went to war because the economic effects of secession had set in-

"the North is fighting for money. It is fighting for its supremacy to rule and levy tribute upon us. Its all is based upon its connection with us--commerce, manufactures, industry and wealth of all sorts. The people of the North know it. Financial ruin for all times stares them in the face. They are staking all--life, blood, political liberty--all upon the hazard. They must have money." -Charleston Mercury, August 8, 1861

The North could have decided not to go to war, but greed is a powerful engine.
The United States (the North) could have avoided the war by allowing a group of states (the South) to depart the United States in order to form a new nation. I agree. The southern states (the South) could have avoided the war by agreeing with the idea that the majority rules, but they did not. The leaders of the slave-holding states could read a map. With an increasing number of states and territories added to the union as non-slave members, it was becoming obvious that slavery could eventually be outlawed by Congress. There was fear among some southerners that the election of Lincoln could begin that movement.

Three of the Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution of the United States and the original document included wording that would have made slavery illegal. The authors eventually changed the wording out of concern that many of the slave-holding colonies would have declined to join the "more perfect union." The nation spent the next eighty or so years giving in to the standard threats by slave-holding states to leave the union.

It all came to a head in 1861.

Horrido67

Private
The leaders of the slave-holding states could read a map. With an increasing number of states and territories added to the union as non-slave members, it was becoming obvious that slavery could eventually be outlawed by Congress.

And the Republican Party was gaining a foothold in Slave States and pro-slavery politicians knew it. Delaware which had the least slave population, yet gave virtually no votes to Fremont in the 1856 election gave its 23.7% of the vote to Lincoln. Missouri where the Republican Party did not even have ballots in 1856 gave Lincoln 10% of the vote in 1860. The tide was turning. The Republican Party was becoming a national party by flipping each Slave state in red. They would have infiltrated the state legislatures in Border States & Upper South and would have pressured them to abolish gradually like Free States did.

John S. Carter

Sergeant Major
You mentioned that the founding fathers gave in to the southern power brokers over the issue of slavery to get the Constitution ratified. Well, some of the key founding fathers were from the south and owned slaves. They were the southern power brokers.
May I suggest a book which may give one insight into the feeling of one of these power brokers ,George Washington. I would write what he said but it is to long to write it down, The book is one of the most interesting book on the man and the history of the country that I have read . So that whoever wants to read what he thought ,I shall provide pages where this can be found/''PATRIARCH=George Washington and the new American Nation'' Richard N. Smith pages 304-306.There is a story of a runaway slave and his feelings concerning this on page 302. You may have to order this book {Thriftbooks is where I purchased mine} If you do please inform me what you think. I am sure that there were others who felt this way. People born into a certain society ,accepts the rules of that society otherwise they risk ostracism.as it was so is it.