Diorama Work in Progress: Fredericksburg Diorama

I'm pretty sure the package is lost for good. As such, I've gone ahead and reordered the 22nd Tennessee and I was able to find a diorama base that I think fits more with Fredericksburg.

Until it shows up, I am going to upload a more complete bio for each of the Union soldiers. I'm holding off the Rebels until I get them painted. Because once I painted each soldier I went, this looks like a Leroy. I'll post them every other day because hopefully, by the time I get Patrick Sullivan's bio uploaded, I'll be able to start working on painting the diorama base and rebs!

To buy or not to buy.....

View attachment 360606

This is a good $100, but I am considering buying this. It's got the Vallejo ACW paint set they've done, as well as primer, paint brushes and miniatures and other stuff. If I buy this, I'll use the miniatures for a more ambitious diorama I'd like to do afterwards, this one at Chancellorsville. But, one thing at a time.

I went ahead and decided on 1/32nd for the model sizes (which I've already bought). My reasoning is thus: It's really hard finding models with great coats at smaller sizes. There is a seller from Sweden who makes basically all sizes and I could get a ton of 1/72nd in various poses and they make custom minis, but it'd be at least a month before they'd get here at the very least.

I have also decided upon a scene set in the streets of Fredericksburg. I won't spoil the scene, but I also have a diorama base on the way which is made for miniatures on the 1/32nd size.
I cant wait to see your work. I have been thinking about it myself, but I have never painted. Good luck.

Yesterday my rebels showed up. My diorama base didn't. The diorama base ended up not even being in stock but I didn't learn about it until yesterday when I got refunded for it. So, third times the charm. If this one doesn't show up, I'll end up doing some DYI stuff to make one.

Unfortunately, I made a bit of a mistake with these two. I only shake the spray can one time before spraying. Comes to find out, that wasn't enough at all. Thus which made them come out look a little grimy. Yet unlike the others, they weren't too bent up. I've been finding that the hot water/cold water helping straighten them out isn't working that great, so, we make so as we can.

Just pretend that they have heavy woolen uniforms. Rebel A has a few red splotches. Wounds to his legs that will be fully revealed once the whole diorama is set up. The brown parts on Rebel 2's legs came from part of the pain peeling off, so I decided to apply brown paint, to turn them into patches the soldier has done to his uniform. I did as one person suggested and added small black dots to make eyes on these guys.

Acurite Brothers.JPG

This strapping fellow is Charles Acurite, age 20, from Olive Branch, Mississippi. He comes from a small slave owning family. He is part of Company B, 17th Mississippi.

Charles Acurite.JPG

Our less than fortunate guy is Charley Acurite, age 20, from Olive Branch, Mississippi. He comes from a small slave owning family. He is part of Company B, 17th Mississippi.

Charley Acurite.JPG

Obviously, they are twins and they joined at the same time. However, they could never get along. They can't even agree on who was born first. Charley is religious, Charles is not. Charles believes in slavery as worthwhile while Charley is opposed to it, seeing the family slaves as being human in their own right. The only thing they agree on is a certain Miss Olivia Summers. They are both in love with her, so they do what any good brothers do when they both love the same woman: they agree to share.

Yeah....no. They absolutely refuse to accept that she might choose the other brother and this has only fueled their brotherly rivalry. It's been fueled even more by Miss Summers, who with a sadistic sense of glee, has said she'll marry the brother who shoots the most Yankees and gets the higher promotion. What happens if one brother kills more Yankees but the other gets promoted? Well......that's not her problem.

Back