NF Women members and re enactors

Non-Fiction
Let’s see..I started all this because my son played his violin when the Ohio Chataqua came to our city. I made him a Frock coat, and he played all his pieces by ear, the only student to do so. And his first solo. Ever. I made myself a day dress, and watched the Historians giving their presentations and thought, “I could do that!”. I still give presentations in my school district. My character is based in part from my Great Grandmother, who owned a farm and was quite an herbalist in her day. The stories of the farm that my Mom tells, give you a good idea of what life was like. No electric, no indoor plumbing...oil lamps, baths in the kitchen..so I take some of that, and some of my own research, and created my character..who sings too.

I guess I am a generic reenactress. I portray what the mood and setting suits. In a camp setting, a camp dress with apron. In a living history setting (educating and recruiting) I dress up more. I dress for the weather too. When we do living history, I have undergarments for girls to try on. I enjoy talking to the public about how women dressed.

The young girls like the corset. They just want to keep it on. It's great fun. Sometimes I can get more mature ladies to try on a chemise, corset and petticoat, not often though. Actually the girls sometimes would rather try on the men's wool uniforms. UGH. Wool.

I don't have a persona, I'm just a 21st century woman interested in the Civil War who lives in NH, hence my title, but welcome!

We are a wonderfully odd lot, aren’t we? At the urging of @Belle Montgomery I am working on an extra facet of my impression. I mentioned that I sing..Belle heard me..and liked my music well enough to promptly ushered me to an officer in the Southern Camp, insisting that I sing for the troops..and so The Civil War Songbird was born. I specialize in Accapella singing..very period..and I know the history of what I am singing as well. Thinking about a display..or something! Lol..work in progress!

We are a wonderfully odd lot, aren’t we? At the urging of @Belle Montgomery I am working on an extra facet of my impression. I mentioned that I sing..Belle heard me..and liked my music well enough to promptly ushered me to an officer in the Southern Camp, insisting that I sing for the troops..and so The Civil War Songbird was born. I specialize in Accapella singing..very period..and I know the history of what I am singing as well. Thinking about a display..or something! Lol..work in progress!
I am here if you want to run some ideas by me...a wood easel or something perhaps you can flip pages with your list/lyrics of songs? Chalkboard? I'll put my thinking cap on!

I am here if you want to run some ideas by me...a wood easel or something perhaps you can flip pages with your list/lyrics of songs? Chalkboard? I'll put my thinking cap on!
Thank you! Trying to think up a nice and interesting stationary display..How do you highlight the songs of the Civil War??

Thank you! Trying to think up a nice and interesting stationary display..How do you highlight the songs of the Civil War??
I visualize a wood easel with two large heavy poster boards/canvas with a logo of a canary or you favorite songbird at the top with h your logo "Civil War Songbird" (Google free clipart "songbird"- pick one attach a your log with a cool font and make a logo by combining them.) One being decorated with Victorian art with a Union flag down the side or lightly in the background and of course the other Confederate. See links below...you could have one with Lincoln and other Jefferson Davis etc. Then you could list the songs on top in black and the spectators can see them and pick them out. You obviously will display the proper one on each side of the camps. Or depending on how many songs or how small you want the print spilt one in the middle and only have one.
You can also easily purchase an oversized poster from the link below (MANY pages to choose from) that would compliment writing on top of it and glue onto a heavier surface like poster board and voila! Or print out each song name separately or a list using you computer's Calligraphy or period font and cut them out and glue them on top where it makes the most sense by not covering up the main part of the poster. If you find and old wood frame you can eventually frame them too. My own display seems always a work in progress :wink:

There are also lots of websites like this on internet https://www.canva.com/create/posters/

Here is SORT of what I am referring to. Look on the right hand side of the stage you'll see an ornate (you doin't have to have one-there's a war going on!) easel with two candles naming the scene. Something along those lines because then your imitating a Victorian stage scene only you sing!:

Last edited:
Canva is great, I've used it for a few projects myself.

Personally I have not pinned down much about my persona as I don't have an impression yet. I have a couple options I'm looking at though...

@Belle Montgomery, thanks for the ideas. I do like the idea of a canvas. I’ll chew on the idea for a bit, and see what I can come up with. I know what bird I’d use too...a Song Sparrow..little bird, big voice. I think it suits me rather well!

Back