Women in American Cooking

Fairfield

2nd Lieutenant
I don't know whether my posting is some kind of violation of rule--if so, I'm sorry. I've just signed up for what looks to be an interesting Zoom presentation on the origins and development of American cooking through the effort of women writers of American Cookbooks (https://hubs.americanancestors.org/anne-willan-women-kitchen?utm_campaign=American Inspiration&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=167359801&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9YoHFQyYRfcOiAyl1XBSg9_cugzDSYV7QkEUwx1Lia4kzeFjqaqrSpF7TvtqmKNqwIpDuAQ1VrFbt5I6tWRqoh_uFWUA&utm_content=167359801&utm_source=hs_email). The time period covered is before the Civil War as well as after. The presentation is being done by NEGHS. I've attended several of the Zoom programs in this series and have found them all to be well done, informative...and expensive (although the presentation itself is FREE, I've not been able to resist purchasing several of the books discussed ☹️ -- hopefully you have stronger will power!).

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it is. What books do they mention?

Always interested in all things about cookbooks and cooking.
They don't mention specific books but they do mention specific authors: Fanny Farmer, Julia Childs and Alice Walker (+9 more). The speaker is Anne Willan (described as a "culinary historian") and the moderator is the woman who does recipes in the Boston Globe (I think the food section of the Globe is terrific).

That link is to the description that lured me in!

That would be interesting. I have a copy of ”The frugal housewife”..a facinating read. And another book whose title escapes me..”Early cookery”??? Bah, gonna have to dig through my book pile..

Back