Impressions Woman wanting to do an impression of a Chaplain

Most women reenactors I've seen are cavalry here, if they stay away from right in the front of the audience and have hair up, its not usually noticeable, not sure if they participate in camp life demo, or just ride in the field reenactments.

Agree with that with the exception that, be realistic, with a modicum of focused observation anyone can pick out the female Cav -- very few of them spend much time on their visual impression, it's just not a priority. Their skill as riders is what's appreciated.

I will say that women observers at events tend to pick up on the clues of feminine comportment quicker than we (often clueless) men do.

Last edited:
Go for it!!!! I'm joining a group who portrays Longstreet and his headquarters, a group in which I will be the 2nd woman on the current roster.

How "well endowed" is she? I'm on the smaller side, so I figure a decent sports bra will hide the ladies underneath the shirt, vest, and jacket. Perhaps I don't even need the bra at all, we'll see. If she has a bigger chest she may need to invest in a more extreme method of binding, they do make chest binders that are made for flattening you out. If she wishes to be a "stitch counter" and not wear anything that did not exist then, bandages are likely her only option, although that is very unhealthy.

She should also try pitching her voice down, and using a more masculine inflection, seeing as how simply not talking isn't an option. She would need to talk out loud as a Chaplain.

Agree with that with the exception that, be realistic, with a modicum of focused observation anyone can pick out the female Cav -- very few of them spend much time on their visual impression, it's just not a priority. Their skill as riders is what's appreciated.

I will say that women observers at events tend to pick up on the clues of feminine comportment quicker than we (often clueless) men do.
I was at a one day event, and went over to horse trailers as they were unloading as I used to have horses, was a little surprised 4 were women. Why I wasnt sure if in the camp life demos of a weekend event they also participated, or only rode in the actual battle re-enactments.

I have relayed your responses, and I thank you for them. And for adding to my personal knowledge base! She is attached to a unit, but I guess she is getting flack from others. I’ve encouraged her to come and join our ranks. I hope she does.

I have relayed your responses, and I thank you for them. And for adding to my personal knowledge base! She is attached to a unit, but I guess she is getting flack from others. I’ve encouraged her to come and join our ranks. I hope she does.

I'm sorry she's getting flack. It's so odd. I'm not clear which numbers are right but with well over two million men fighting through all those years ( read 2.75? ) there's going to be quite a few surprises, you know? Despite documentation I've run into folks who dismiss the idea there were female soldiers ( there were ). Who knows if there were any, other female chaplains? We do not and it's unrealistic to insist we do. Getting on towards 3 million and that number is combatants only, not docs, chaplains, etc. A LOT, lot of personal stories. We can't possibly know all of them.

Love to have her here on CWT!

The Chaplain branch was put together in kind of a slap-dash fashion. Despite authorizing rank and pay, and that they needed to be regularly ordained clergy of their respective denominations, Congress didn't do anything to lay down guidelines for the branch. Individual chaplains approached regimental commanders hoping to get a recommendation for the slot on the roster. (Sometimes unscrupulous commanders used that slot to hire additional staff, like a French chef for the officers.) There was no training, and no job description really, beyond that the chaplain should report to the commander from time to time regarding the health and morale of the soldiers. In addition, the possibility that the war might end at any time, and the chaplain would find himself out of a job, did nothing to encourage the best and most stable clergy to seek a military appointment. In some denominations, like my own, clergy had to seek the approval of the congregation to take another call, so if the congregation liked their minister, they just might vote to keep him instead of sending him to the army! By and large, because of their civilian education and experience, many chaplains were well over the average age of the troops they were serving, and there was no upper age limit for the branch. Pastoral ministry was a sedentary profession then, also, so many were seriously not up to the rigors of active campaigning. Dozens of the chaplains of the AoP resigned during the winter 1862-1863, and their positions were never filled. Half of the chaplaincies in that same army were unfilled at the war's end.
In the Confederate service, it was even more chaotic, since chaplains were considered home missionaries and were sent by home congregations. Aside from memoirs, we have very little record of Confederate chaplains.
Altogether, as much as I love my branch, and am proud of its history, I really have to admit that the Civil War was really not one of the better chapters in its history.

The number of women who what to reenact as soldiers seems to be growing. In most cases, reenacting units can use the extra soldiers that women can provide. So why not a female portraying a male chaplain?
Women voluntarily snuck into both armies undetected and it appears they proved their worth. So why not go in as a chaplain reenactor. Just look and act the part for a realistic portrayal.

I haven't read anything negative about the women that fought. Has anyone else? I'm curious.

Women voluntarily snuck into both armies undetected and it appears they proved their worth. So why not go in as a chaplain reenactor. Just look and act the part for a realistic portrayal.

I haven't read anything negative about the women that fought. Has anyone else? I'm curious.

The respective governments weren't so happy about them sneaking in through the cracks, but aside from that, I've heard nothing from anywhere. In fact there's a number of instances of their fellow soldiers coming to bat on their behalf, particularly after it came time to hand out pensions.

Hi everyone! I may or may not be the "woman wanting to portray a chaplain" in this thread. The 118th New York (the Adirondack Regiment) has invited me to join and be their chaplain. I am a United Methodist Pastor in real life, so this seems like a really good fit for me. I want to thank you all for your support and suggestions. I have been reading diaries and biographies of actual chaplains like crazy! I'm also doing all I can to be able to pass for a man. I've even thought about using some good quality fake facial hair! I'm writing a historical novel about the experiences and faith struggles of a fictional chaplain. It is so important for me to help people learn about the role that faith played in the lives of soldiers. Thanks for the add!

20191225_191605.jpg

Hi everyone! I may or may not be the "woman wanting to portray a chaplain" in this thread. The 118th New York (the Adirondack Regiment) has invited me to join and be their chaplain. I am a United Methodist Pastor in real life, so this seems like a really good fit for me. I want to thank you all for your support and suggestions. I have been reading diaries and biographies of actual chaplains like crazy! I'm also doing all I can to be able to pass for a man. I've even thought about using some good quality fake facial hair! I'm writing a historical novel about the experiences and faith struggles of a fictional chaplain. It is so important for me to help people learn about the role that faith played in the lives of soldiers. Thanks for the add!

View attachment 341625
Welcome to the forum from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum

If you want to PM me, we can talk shop. I've portrayed a Federal chaplain, as well as a WW2 US army chaplain. I'm ordained American Baptist, and formerly a US Army chaplain.

...I've portrayed a Federal chaplain, as well as a WW2 US army chaplain. I'm ordained American Baptist, and formerly a US Army chaplain...

Just a quick question while we have you here ...how do you (or do you) accommodate the Catholics if there's only one service being given at the event, Civil War or WW2?

At one Civil War Christian service I attended we Catholics stayed after the general service to receive hosts (consecrated that day by a priest in a nearby church) as carried to the service by one of the the church's deacons, a reenactor. (I'm not sure that procedure would be signed off by some Catholic Bishops).

At one WW2 Christian service I saw the Catholic chaplain perform a generic Christian service without any Catholic component. (though "generic" is not quite the right word; it was a very uplifting sermon!)

How has this been handled by you, and with other Chaplains at the venue? ...as to who's doing what?

Parting comment; there's nothing like a good reenactment service to charge your faith battery, get you out of a rut, though I've literally had to convince some the older generation Catholic peers in my unit that going to the Christian service is not a sin, ha :sneaky:

Last edited:
Welcome from the Cannons and Artillery Forum and S Central Ohio.

I think the photo looks great. Personally, I would stay away from the fake facial hair - It would be hard to do well, and remember, many times you will be out in the heat, no need to add something that could be difficult to maintain due to the heat and humidity. Personally, I don't have a problem with women in the ranks as long as they dress the part and do reasonable things to look male ( no makeup, hair under hat, etc). To me it's no big deal, and for those who claim it's not period correct, remember most of us are not period correct anyway because we are too heavy and too old.

Last edited:
Welcome from the Cannons and Artillery Forum and S Central Ohio.

I think the photo looks great. Personally, I would stay away from the fake facial hair - It would be hard to do well, and remember, many times you will be out in the heat, no need to add something that could be difficult to maintain due to the heat and humidity. Personally, I don't have a problem with women in the ranks as long as they dress the part and do reasonable things to look male ( no makeup, hair under hat, etc). To me it's no big deal, and for those who claim it's not period correct, remember most of us are not period correct anyway because we are too heavy and too old.
Thanks! I do keep my hair short - and will even slick it back when I'm doing my impression. Also sewed shoulder pads into my frock coat to look at little bulkier! I'll do whatever I can to look authentic and not detract from helping people learn about chaplains in the CW.

Just a quick question while we have you here ...how do you (or do you) accommodate the Catholics if there's only one service being given at the event, Civil War or WW2?

At one Civil War Christian service I attended we Catholics stayed after the general service to receive hosts (consecrated that day by a priest in a nearby church) as carried to the service by one of the the church's deacons, a reenactor. (I'm not sure that procedure would be signed off by some Catholic Bishops).

At one WW2 Christian service I saw the Catholic chaplain perform a generic Christian service without any Catholic component. (though "generic" is not quite the right word; it was a very uplifting sermon!)

How has this been handled by you, and with other Chaplains at the venue? ...as to who's doing what?

Parting comment; there's nothing like a good reenactment service to charge your faith battery, get you out of a rut, though I've literally had to convince some the older generation Catholic peers in my unit that going to the Christian service is not a sin, ha :sneaky:
Catholic practice is really under-represented. Part of that is the nature of the people who feel led to portray chaplains; most of them are Protestants, and lay people. The other part is that RC practice in the past is really a different kind of animal. IRL, chaplains are "double-slotted," a Protestant and Catholic chaplain may serve the same command in order to ensure religious support. A chaplain ministers within his own faith tradition - so when I chaplain, I'm within the "Protestant, General" category. Some of the stumbling blocks to portraying Catholic practices are related to language and ecclesiology. During both the Civil War, and the WW2 period, Catholic worship was performed in Latin. Now I do have a degree in Latin, so that's not a problem for me, but it is for almost anyone else. The second problem is that none of the historical versions of the liturgy are considered "official" anymore; so if you're a stickler, and doing them, you're not really doing Catholic liturgy. It's not considered legitimate. Furthermore, to perform the current official Latin, you need both the priest and permission, so it's pretty complicated. I have led a matins and vespers service in Latin, which do not require ecclesiastic approval, and may be performed by a lay person. I'm not really sure it was worth it after the first page. It might have been more valuable to try to teach a bunch of reenactors how to say the Pater Noster.

Catholic practice is really under-represented. Part of that is the nature of the people who feel led to portray chaplains; most of them are Protestants, and lay people. The other part is that RC practice in the past is really a different kind of animal. IRL, chaplains are "double-slotted," a Protestant and Catholic chaplain may serve the same command in order to ensure religious support. A chaplain ministers within his own faith tradition - so when I chaplain, I'm within the "Protestant, General" category. Some of the stumbling blocks to portraying Catholic practices are related to language and ecclesiology. During both the Civil War, and the WW2 period, Catholic worship was performed in Latin. Now I do have a degree in Latin, so that's not a problem for me, but it is for almost anyone else. The second problem is that none of the historical versions of the liturgy are considered "official" anymore; so if you're a stickler, and doing them, you're not really doing Catholic liturgy. It's not considered legitimate. Furthermore, to perform the current official Latin, you need both the priest and permission, so it's pretty complicated. I have led a matins and vespers service in Latin, which do not require ecclesiastic approval, and may be performed by a lay person. I'm not really sure it was worth it after the first page. It might have been more valuable to try to teach a bunch of reenactors how to say the Pater Noster.
I know that you can get a dispensation from mass if you are in transit, or ill. I am Catholic, and usually attend whatever service is offered at a reenactment. The last 2, I did the song leading.

Back