Real or Faux? Wm. Mason reproductions?

Jack7171

Corporal
Were any Wm Mason made repros made? I picked up a wallhanger this week for super cheapo,,,,under the assumption it was a reproduction, based on how new and clean it was. It just doesn't have the "feel" of an original musket, and it had the stock cut down,, and basically bastardized,,,it's stamped 1863,,but I know that means nothing,,,but has anyone heard of Wm. Mason muskets reproduced?

There are no commercially available reproductions. However, one could defarb an Italian reproduction into one and potentially even swap in an original lock. Post some photos of it and I'm sure some of our members could identify it for you.
That sounds like exactly what I got,,an Italian repro,,cut down,,then fitted with a mason lock plate. It was part of a package purchase that included an 1860 Fenton double barrel percussion shotgun and a box of bayonets,,which I am at a loss trying to identify,,,and probably never will,,,,I've spent 300 bucks on much worse lol
20210408_101648.jpg
20210408_101729.jpg
20210408_101946.jpg

That sounds like exactly what I got,,an Italian repro,,cut down,,then fitted with a mason lock plate. It was part of a package purchase that included an 1860 Fenton double barrel percussion shotgun and a box of bayonets,,which I am at a loss trying to identify,,,and probably never will,,,,I've spent 300 bucks on much worse lol

Your musket is a composite of period parts, consisting of a M1861 lock from a Mason contract musket that has been fit with a M1863 or M1864 stock and barrel. The gun was also sporterized. This could have occurred anytime between 1870 and 1920, but none of the parts are modern.

Start another thread for your bayonets and we'll get them ID'd. It looks like you've got a pair of US M1855 bayonets, a P1853, and a P1876. The short socket one is interesting.

For $300 I think you did pretty good.

Your musket is a composite of period parts, consisting of a M1861 lock from a Mason contract musket that has been fit with a M1863 or M1864 stock and barrel. The gun was also sporterized. This could have occurred anytime between 1870 and 1920, but none of the parts are modern.

Start another thread for your bayonets and we'll get them ID'd. It looks like you've got a pair of US M1855 bayonets, a P1853, and a P1876. The short socket one is interesting.

For $300 I think you did pretty good.
Wow,,,,thank you!!!!

Back