Witness trees at the Reynolds marker are down!

W117Monte

Private
The trees(labeled 1 and 3 in the article below) are down.
I took the kids up and they were climbing all over the tree. We spotted this hole and they were certain it was a bullet hole. These trees appear to be suffering the same fate as the one on Oak ridge, as there is a chipper truck parked nearby.

6580E79A-E20B-481E-9F0C-DF0DF4FC94C8.jpeg

8CCBB257-23A8-423A-B563-81FF3E9364A1.jpeg

The trees(labeled 1 and 3 in the article below) are down.
I took the kids up and they were climbing all over the tree. We spotted this hole and they were certain it was a bullet hole. These trees appear to be suffering the same fate as the one on Oak ridge, as there is a chipper truck parked nearby.

View attachment 383696

View attachment 383697
Could someone in the area get a few of the smaller limbs? They are needed for a project @CivilWarTalk

The tree that leaned severely to the east (toward the road) had no leaves this past summer, and very few the prior year.
In my first year of guiding, I often ended the tale of Reynolds' death by saying that we had a living witness to that event, and pointing out the tree. Many visitors expressed reverent amazement, and more than one felt compelled to take a photo standing by the tree.

I am told that the trees with the markings are slated to be taken down.

Trees have a lifespan just as humans do. These witness trees had reached the ends of their time. Better to take them down with purpose than to let them fall on their own.
Or fall on somebody. That area of the field is a prime tour stop for buses and car tours, too. Lots of people pass under those trees near the Reynolds marker.

At least one of those trees was “tagged” as a witness tree. Wonder if anyone saved the metal tag?

It does seem an odd place for a hole, towards the middle of the tree, did you count the rings by chance?

Back