Handguns Wish Me Luck On Auction Of 2 Colts

1SG

Private
Remington 1861 .44 cal. revolver; 2 Colt 1860 .44 cal. revolvers;

the above descriptions are in the auction flyer, I called the auctioneer for a clarification if they are repro's or not.

He said they are off site until auction day at the FFL location, I asked about the names on the revolvers and he said whatever was posted is all he cold tell me.

Sooo, my question to ya'll,,,,IF they are repro's would they have COLT or Pietta/Uberti,,,my thinking is they would have the repro name, not COLT.

As for the Remington 1861, would it also have Reminton or Pietta,,,etc?

I DONT WANT TO ask for clarification and they post updated pics and info, LOL

To clarify my question:

Would a repro weapon have the COLT or Remington name on it?

Usually not. Out of the box European reproductions will not be marked as such, however, there are some defarbed revolvers out there that have been stamped with period markings and addresses on the barrels. Most guys who do that kind of work won't stamp them, since both companies are still around, and you could open yourself up for a lawsuit by remaking them.

There are also 2nd Generation Colt pistols that are complete with correct markings. I believe they were Italian made and Colt finished, but at the very least Colt retailed them. They bring pretty good money, so I wouldn't be too put out if they turn out to be so long as the price reflects it.

What you need to do is study up on the markings and their locations of the originals of these 2 pistols and that way you will know what your bidding on.

Remington 1861 .44 cal. revolver; 2 Colt 1860 .44 cal. revolvers.

I would suggest you find a copy of Flayderman's various editions. Good pictures and info.

If it is indeed a Remington 1861, it will look different than the 1863 Remington New Model Army in that the frame top strap is shorter and the load lever is different. The Italian repros do not look like the 1861, and are called 1858 Remingtons, which is a 20th century misnomer as the original guns had a patent date of 1858, and that is why.

Sooo, my question to ya'll,,,,IF they are repro's would they have COLT or Pietta/Uberti,,,my thinking is they would have the repro name, not COLT.

I don't know about the 1860 Armies as far as original guns (no pictures), but if they are repros (not defarbed/antiqued), Piettas have a billboard on the right side of the barrel, Ubertis have the name/mark on either the left side of the frame or on the barrel hidden by the load lever. Armi San Marco guns have the manufacturer's mark on the bottom of the frame near the serial number and usually an "SM" or an Armi San Marco logo on the lower right side of the barrel just above the load lever. If not defarbed, Italian proof marks will be on the frame, barrel lug, and cylinder.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim

The 2nd Generation Colt revolvers will have period correct markings, and no import or Italian markings. They were imported from Italy as "parts" and assembled here in the U.S. by Imperato concerns in New Jersey. Colt leased the naming and had nothing to do with the final assembly, finishing, etc. I attended a gun show over the weekend where one dealer had 2 of the 2nd Generation Colt Model 1851 Navy Revolvers for sale. They were in excellent+ condition, and were priced at $250 apiece. He took them home with him at the end of the show. As for being able to tell these "Colt" revolvers from the originals look at the serial numbers. They begin where the original numbering left off.
J.

My advice? Never bid on anything unless you know exactly what it is. Good luck: if you win, be sure to post photos!

I have a few cap and ball revolvers that are reproductions. All of them say something, somewhere that shows they were made in Italy. It might be right on the barrel in bold letters or it might be hidden and take a careful examination to find it under a loading lever or similar. I have never seen one that is marked Colt unless it is a cartridge revolver chambered in Colt .45 and marked as such. Check out Coltforums for lots of photos on authentic Colt firearms.

It ended up being 2 Armi San Marcos (which he called the colts) and 1 Pietta that he called the Remington.

Paid $110 each, plus many more items in the blackpowder world.

It ended up being 2 Armi San Marcos (which he called the colts) and 1 Pietta that he called the Remington.

Paid $110 each, plus many more items in the blackpowder world.

1SG,

If those pistols are in good used shape or better, you stole them! Excellent deal.

ASM made some very fair guns before they went out of business ~2001. Some reports seem to say/think that the steel was a bit softer than Uberti or Pietta, the ones I have/had are not that way. ASM parts are scarce as hens' teeth, but since the ASM and Uberti companies had a somewhat familial relationship, I have found Uberti parts fit fairly well on ASM guns.

Piettas are very good guns. It is a replica of the Remington 1863 NMA (New Model Army) even though they are called 1858 (20th century replica misnomer) Remingtons due to the 1858 patent date.

If you can post the date codes, I can tell you when they were manufactured. Date codes are either: two alpha characters in a rectangle, or a Roman numeral not to exceed XXX (30). The ASM guns will most likely have the alpha code on the bottom front of the frame near the serial number, and may have the triangular ASM logo there also if made after 1974. If they are earlier guns the Roman numeral code should be on the right side of the frame.

The Pietta will have the alpha code on the right side of the frame.

I am a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 fan and have 8 different guns, mostly Confederate copies.

I also have an ASM 1860 Army 4-screw cut-for-shoulder-stock (BC/1993) that I purchase used for $180 in January this year. It has the round engraved cylinder, but I wanted a full-fluted cylinder for it. After much measuring I decided to acquire a new Uberti cylinder ($100), and it was a drop-in fit with no modification. It is my primary shooter, is timed well with both cylinders, and I can attest that I have no problems with it.

Again, you scored very well. BTW, photos are always appreciated!

Regards,

Jim

ASM-1860-Army-Fluted-Cylinder-007.jpg

I attended a gun show over the weekend where one dealer had 2 of the 2nd Generation Colt Model 1851 Navy Revolvers for sale. They were in excellent+ condition, and were priced at $250 apiece. He took them home with him at the end of the show.

You should have bought them and resold them on GB for twice the price (the present market).

Jim

Back