Museum Wisconsin Veteran's Museum (Civil War)

ewmail15

Retired User
Here are pics I took from today's trip over to Madison. This morning I searched on their site for Merrills, and they have three. Only one (8656) was on display, but this fall after they move their stored collections to a climate controlled building, I'll have the chance to take pics and maybe even handle them. For as small as this museum was, it had a wealth of historical artifacts and nice displays. Racine has a dedicated CW museum, but there's a fee and really weak displays, plus Racine charges $9 or so vs. Madison's free access.

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4059.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4061.JPG

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice. Thanks for posting. You do love those Merrill's don't you.

A great little museum ! They also have displays from all the wars and from what I understand they have very large inventory not seen by the public .

I received great news about the other two Merrill carbines in storage. After they're moved, the collections manager agreed to allow me to view and photograph them. The curator will also be party to the meeting. Can't wait!

Even better news is that collections manager Andrea stated it'd be alright if nine others came along. Don't know the date yet, but figure some Saturday in September. I told her about my Sharps restoration, and interest in any other Civil War era weapons that are in storage and possibly viewable as well. When she replies, I'll share here.

Back