Wisconsin Senator Doolittle Captured at Shiloh or Fallen Timbers?

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1636861827382.png

The Athens Post. (Athens, TN), April 25, 1862, page 2.

I ran across this period newspaper article reporting the capture of 'Senator Doolittle' of Wisconsin. The article seems to indicate that this 'Senator Doolittle' was captured on April 8th during the attack launched by Forrest's at Fallen Timbers. The incident was also reported in the Charleston Daily Courier, South Carolina, April 24, 1862, page 4. By May 15, 1862, Senator Doolittle was in Washington, DC, participating in the activities of Congress, so if he was taken prisoner, he must have been paroled quickly.

I have a few questions I hope some of our Shiloh experts can answer:
  • Why would a Wisconsin Senator have been at Shiloh?
  • Is this James R Doolittle the same as 'Senator Doolittle' who was reported captured?
  • Did this actually happen? And if so, was Doolittle taken prisoner by Forrest's cavalry on April 8th during the Battle of Fallen Timbers? Or earlier during the Battle of Shiloh?
  • Could the newspapers have been confused? If it actually happened, it seems like it would be mentioned.
@Ole Miss @TomP @16thAL @MS2623 @ucvrelics @DixieRifles have any of you ever heard of this? Any information appreciated.

• Why would a Wisconsin Senator have been at Shiloh?
  • Is this James R Doolittle the same as 'Senator Doolittle' who was reported captured?
  • Did this actually happen? And if so, was Doolittle taken prisoner by Forrest's cavalry on April 8th during the Battle of Fallen Timbers? Or earlier during the Battle of Shiloh?
  • Could the newspapers have been confused? If it actually happened, it seems like it would be mentioned.
Checking the Wisconsin state senators, none were named Doolittle.
The US Senator, for Wisconsin was James R. Doolittle at the time of the Shiloh dustup!
And, checking the Congressional Globe, Senator Doolittle was speaking in Congress on April 10 1862.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llcg&fileName=059/llcg059.db&recNum=647
you will see April 10 at Right top, then hit next image and left side will show 1862, and you will find the senator near top of left hand column. (Did he have Wings??)
Looking in the ORs I found Senator Doolittle listed a number of times, but all were later in the war. I also found a Captain Doolittle listed but nothing relating to Shiloh.
So, I suspect the paper was likely wrong. Its possible that there was a Doolittle in the captured soldiers, as Doolittle was not a uncommon name in the era.

Back