Wisconsin regiments of the Iron Brigade

Calicoboy

Corporal
The three regiments from Wisconsin had interesting nicknames. The 2nd was known as "The Raggedy A**ed Second. Due to the condition of their uniforms during an inspection. The 6th was known as the "Calicoboys" (that's where he gets it from!). Due to the plethora of calico shirts worn when the regiment showed up at Madison. The 7th was dubbed the "Huckleberries" because of their reputation for finding food when no one elso could.

Calicoboy

Indiana, too

Not to omit the Indiana boys. They were known as "Swamp Hogs#19. Due to their distain for parade and dress; and their fondness for a good fight.

Calicoboy

Hi Calicoboy,

I can vizualize it in my mind, a battle is about to commence. Amidst the booming of the dog's of war two Regiments hasten to fight. On the North slope proud and satiated stands "the Huckleberries" from Wisconsin, laden with the delicacies of their namesake. Thence yonder, upon the Southern slope, hungry & lean with envious eyes cast upon the haversacks of their prey, proudly stand the "Tallapoosa Lincoln Thrashers" from Alabama! Then...tarnation..right before contact is made, the 'Thrashers are outdistanced by fellow Alabamians, the "Barbour Yankee Hunters." The fight leaves both Alabama units a tad winded and pausing to glance over their shoulders, they witness a reserve unit, the "South Florida Bull Dogs" sporting great big grins while enjoying the Huckleberries Supper!

Good post, Calico! The nicknames were amazing, were they not!

Sincerely,
Alabaman (Rob Adams)

excellent

Excellent reply Alabaman...brought a smile to my face. I wonder how many other really cool nicknames were out there? How about it ladies and gents, what are the nicknames of your favourite regiments. In good natured response, it would probably take three secesh regiments to take the 7th....ha!Expired Image Removed

it would probably take three secesh regiments to take the 7th....

except that the 26th NC whipped most of the Iron Brigade single handed on July 1:smile: he he he

nbforrest said:

except that the 26th NC whipped most of the Iron Brigade single handed on July 1:smile: he he he

What history did you read to get that?

Calicoboy

nbforrest said:

Oh, I'd say the 19th Indiana got a few licks in on that day.:tongue:
Roger

CalicoBoy,

Quote by CalicoBoy:

..it would probably take three secesh regiments to take the 7th...Ha! <7th Wisconsin of the Iron Brigade, US>

I recon it would, but only THREE COMPANIES of Confederate troops to whip one Yankee Regiment!
The units I mentioned were CONFEDERATE VOLUNTEER COMPANY nicknames. (insert a great big Rebel Yell by Alabaman here!)

All in good humor, CalicoBoy! ;-)
I have always enjoyed reading the unit nicknames of both sides during the war. Some were very interesting.
I got my info from "The Life of Johnny Reb" by Wiley, BTW.

Best regards,
Rob Adams (Alabaman)

Dear CalicoBoy,

Did my personal humor distract from your original post?

If so, I had no intention of doing that, and if my 'southern sense of humor' is not desired or is not applicable I will refrain from it. I sincerely apologize if my humor caused you any grief? I really meant it well and was humbly trying to stimulate more posting in your thread. I see the post ended after my postings and am only trying to clarify.

Yours Most Sincerely,
Rob Adams

THe only thing I know off hand is that the 26th NC had little to do w/ the Iron Brigade pulling up stakes and falling back. Cutlers boys & the Iron Brigade were feeling pretty lonely there for quite a while looking at all that gray & butternut headed their way. I'd be tempted to say they got in quite a few licks before they headed for Culps Hill. And when they were on Cupls Hill, they gave quite a few more and in fact kind of proved that old point that when Americans say "this is my hill" that bit of real estate tends to stay w/ US troops. Even when it was Americans trying to push them off.

A lot of the credit for the victory at Gettysburg goes to Cutlers Brigade & the Iron Brigade; and they paid for that distinction in spades.

So Rob, If one secesh vol company can whip three yankee regiments, how come the entire 45th Alabama couldn't take one battery (3-6) guns away from one measly yankee brigade at Perryville?

BTW, did you get my last 2 PMs?

Alabaman said:
Dear CalicoBoy,

Did my personal humor distract from your original post?

If so, I had no intention of doing that, and if my 'southern sense of humor' is not desired or is not applicable I will refrain from it. I sincerely apologize if my humor caused you any grief? I really meant it well and was humbly trying to stimulate more posting in your thread. I see the post ended after my postings and am only trying to clarify.

Yours Most Sincerely,
Rob Adams

Sir,

Absolutely no offense was taken on my part. Believe it or not, people in Wisconsin are known to have an occasional sense of humour. My post ended simply because I have had too little time on my hands these days. Keep up the good humour my Alabaman friend, I appreciate your wit. A big huzzah to the Crimson Tide and the brave lads of the Alabama regiments. I look forward to your good natured repartees.

Calicoboy

Jones Brigade was there on the 3rd July. Northern most unit in the battle. The 48th VA was center with the 42 VA and 50 VA to the right, 21 VA and 44 VA to the left. They were greeted by 7, 2 and 6 WI, 7 IN, 56 PA, 95 NY, 66 OH, 60 NY and 78 NY under Culter? In front of our guys on the advance were Walkers' 4, 5, 27, 33 VA with Williams 1,2,10,14 and 15 LA to the rear. Left of Walker was Daniel's 53,45.32.43 NC. Those guys ran into Greene's 102, 137, and 149 NY along with 29 OH, 111 PA, 29 PA, 5 OH and 147 PA. Union right flank was met by Steuart's 3 NC, 1 MD, 37 VA, 23 VA and 1 NC. Must have been one helluva fight.

Doug,

Ahh...that one is simple to answer. The 45th Ala. wasn't 'warmed-up' adequately and the dang sun was in their eyes! LOL! (a good one, Doug..touche..:smile: BTW..I will PM you soon; I've been really tied down with 'things' lately. I'll explain. ;-)
Yours...
Rob

Dear CalicoBoy,

Thank goodness for good humour! I'm glad it was well received! Thanks for your kind reply. R.Rat (Doug) just got me good! hehehe!
Your 'humored' Pard,
Rob

johan_steele said:
THe only thing I know off hand is that the 26th NC had little to do w/ the Iron Brigade pulling up stakes and falling back. Cutlers boys & the Iron Brigade were feeling pretty lonely there for quite a while looking at all that gray & butternut headed their way. I'd be tempted to say they got in quite a few licks before they headed for Culps Hill. And when they were on Cupls Hill, they gave quite a few more and in fact kind of proved that old point that when Americans say "this is my hill" that bit of real estate tends to stay w/ US troops. Even when it was Americans trying to push them off.

A lot of the credit for the victory at Gettysburg goes to Cutlers Brigade & the Iron Brigade; and they paid for that distinction in spades.

Whoa now, first off I was being facetious about the 26 NC...

But to say that the 26 NC had little to do with the Iron Brigade falling back is simply wrong. The 26th slammed straight into the 24 MI and they cut each other to pieces. Just horrible slaughter. The 11 NC to the 26th's right hit the 19 IN and pushed them back. The 24th and 19th fell back, forcing the 6 and 7 WI to their rights to fall back as well. The rest of Pettigrew's fellows smashed Biddle's brigade.

So, my first had purposefull hyperbole. But the 26 and 11 NC were the reasons the Iron Brigade fell back. The Iron Brigade were fine fighters, but they most certainly were forced back after putting up a heck of a fight.

Respectfully

JohnW in E.TN said:
My gr-gr-gr ucle's 50th Virginia was there too.

John W.

My gggrandfather was there too. The 50th Virginia helped man the guns at Culp's Hill, resourceful hill folk that they were.

Zou

Back