Winfield S Hancock: Not so Superb After Gettysburg?

In fairness to the author: I only quoted one section of the chapter that caught my attention. There is mention of Comstock & Babcock (If I recall correctly) however, it was the assessment of Hancock that I highlighted. I do not want to give the impression that all else was left out. It is more of a reflection on my own bias/unrealistic view that I thought that Hancock would not make mistakes.
You are fine B. I just didn't like the passage/opinion Simpson wrote.

Someone who never even saw the book calling it inaccurate and biased.

Let that sink in for a minute then reflect on the "intellect" required to do that.
What can I say,Hoss? Some of us are more selective in the books we choose to read. The quote "inaccurate and biased" is from one of the 13% 1 star READER Reviews on Amazon. Another READER said the book wasn't worth the $1 they paid for it. The book reviews of Simpson's book are right there on Amazon for all to see. You need to get your facts right and to be a little more circumspect before you jump. You're embarrassing yourself. "Let that sink in for a minute."

What can I say,Hoss? Some of us are more selective in the books we choose to read. The quote "inaccurate and biased" is from one of the 13% 1 star READER Reviews on Amazon. Another READER said the book wasn't worth the $1 they paid for it. The book reviews of Simpson's book are right there on Amazon for all to see. You need to get your facts right and to be a little more circumspect before you jump. You're embarrassing yourself. "Let that sink in for a minute."
FZ11. Can't we all agree to disagree and not resort to personal and inflammatory attacks. So unprofessional. Please show a little courtesy to those individuals who may not agree with your OPINION. Cash has been a member of this forum for many years and has a very good reputation for providing sound and sage advice. Just a thought. David.

FZ11. Can't we all agree to disagree and not resort to personal and inflammatory attacks. So unprofessional. Please show a little courtesy to those individuals who may not agree with your OPINION. Cash has been a member of this forum for many years and has a very good reputation for providing sound and sage advice. Just a thought. David.
I think you should read Cash's post to me, quoted in my #82 above. I simply responded and corrected him.

I think you should read Cash's post to me, quoted in my #82 above. I simply responded and corrected him.
All I am saying is not to take everything everyone writes on the forum so personal. Show some professionalism and patience. David.

All I am saying is not to take everything everyone writes on the forum so personal. Show some professionalism and patience. David.
Excuse me,but I'm a real life professional and I think Mr. Cash can speak for himself. Or does he need to send you out to do that for him?

Okay. Just a word about Amazon reviews and then I hope we can leave the topic behind. A few years ago, there was a big flap, because both authors and detractors were opening numerous accounts to both laud and defame books. Hence, the "verified purchase" became a component when considering the validity of the reviews.

Last edited:

Some of us are not completely ignorant of the scholarship, chief. We don't need to depend on Amazon reviews where someone can just make a claim without actually having read the book or know what they're talking about.

Interesting that there are some folks gullible enough to think if a person claims to have read a book they actually read it. I guess it takes at least a certain level of intelligence to understand there are people who don't tell the truth and instead just disparage those who don't parrot the lost cause.

Okay. Just a word about Amazon reviews and then I hope we can leave the topic behind. A few years ago, there was a big flap, because both authors and detractors were opening numerous accounts to both laud and defame books. Hence, the "verified purchase" became a component when considering the validity of the reviews.

This. Only bother with verified purchasers.

Excuse me,but I'm a real life professional and I think Mr. Cash can speak for himself. Or does he need to send you out to do that for him?
I think if you were a real professional you certainly would not respond in such an immature and silly manner. By the way, I am not a spokesperson for Cash (Al) or anyone else on this forum, just myself. Cash or Al certainly can speak and defend himself without my help or anyone elses. This is my last response to this foolishness. Have a good day and calm down. David.

Hence, the "verified purchase" became a component when considering the validity of the reviews.

As cash expanded once more on that topic, I dare to do it also. "Verified purchase" is good, but a lot of books I have reviewed on amazon don't have that. All the books I have been given were not purchased, nevertheless I would never review a book I did not read! So there is still no component besides the sheer amount of one star and five star ratings that can be used to give the potential reader an idea. Best read the book yourself and form your own opinion.

As cash expanded once more on that topic, I dare to do it also. "Verified purchase" is good, but a lot of books I have reviewed on amazon don't have that. All the books I have been given were not purchased, nevertheless I would never review a book I did not read! So there is still no component besides the sheer amount of one star and five star ratings that can be used to give the potential reader an idea. Best read the book yourself and form your own opinion.

I abandoned Amazon altogether as a review source for all of the reasons mentioned. I use Emerging Civil War, Civil War Books, and several independent sources for a combined overview. It helps, but as you say: nothing like reading the book yourself:smile:

This is getting silly. Are you a professional engineer? A professional accountant? A professional Civil War historian? If it is not the latter, I wouldn't brag about it in this venue. We have lawyers and doctors and all sorts of professionals who also happen to be excellent Civil War scholars. I would venture a guess that not one of them has cited a single Amazon customer review in support of a position. In fact I would venture to guess that they stay out of arguments about books they haven't read.

This is getting silly. Are you a professional engineer? A professional accountant? A professional Civil War historian? If it is not the latter, I wouldn't brag about it in this venue. We have lawyers and doctors and all sorts of professionals who also happen to be excellent Civil War scholars. I would venture a guess that not one of them has cited a single Amazon customer review in support of a position. In fact I would venture to guess that they stay out of arguments about books they haven't read.
HERE!! HERE!!. VERY WELL CRAFTED MY GOOD MAN. David.

Some of us are not completely ignorant of the scholarship, chief. We don't need to depend on Amazon reviews where someone can just make a claim without actually having read the book or know what they're talking about.

Interesting that there are some folks gullible enough to think if a person claims to have read a book they actually read it. I guess it takes at least a certain level of intelligence to understand there are people who don't tell the truth and instead just disparage those who don't parrot the lost cause.
" Dun told you twict". These are Readers who reviewed the book at Amazon.com. So now you want to say the Actual readers who read Simpson's book and thought it not "accurate,biased,not a good read,and not worth the $1 they paid for it, etc.,etc." are in a conspiracy of 9 against Simpson's book? Further,I have no connection to the "Lost Cause Myth". Never heard of till I got on here. Further still, you denigrate the intelligence of those that disagree with you. You need to look up the term Projection. I think the shoe fits you,perfectly.

those are fighting words. They didn't call him hancock the superb because he was a slacker ever since I was a little tyke I saw that statue on Cemetery Hill. And I only hoped that someday I might have a statue like that honestly I still look at it with pride. To be just commanding man sitting on top of my horse and not hiding from the bullets .. That's a general you fight for.and yes that's a man they would die for.

I am going to *attempt* to deflect the rancor, and state that it is obvious that I am not well read on this campaign that we are evaluating.

What do folks suggest that I place in the queue to get caught up?

Back