Forrest Wilson defeats Forrest at Selma

By 1863, Grierson's Raid had shown that the interior South was a hollow shell and by 1865 it was even more so. Wilson had pushed what remained of Forrest's troopers through the interior of Alabama and while Forrest could hope to slow him down, I believe that he knew that he could never stop him. By the time that they arrived at Selma, Forrest was tasked with attempting to hold an extended line with far too few soldiers/militia/civilians against a well armed , experienced and well led Union force and unfortunately the fall of Selma was a foregone conclusion. By that time, Selma was tasked with supplying armies and navies that were quickly diasappearing and it's value as an industrial center was quickly waning.

By that time, Selma was tasked with supplying armies and navies that were quickly diasappearing and it's value as an industrial center was quickly waning.
You're right.

Selma had been a vital part of the Confederate State's limited industrial infrastructure . . . but by 1865, it was all but over.

Personally I think Forrest knew this, but was carrying out his orders as best he could.

Forrest was tasked with attempting to hold an extended line with far too few soldiers/militia/civilians against a well armed , experienced and well led Union force

That's what I'm talking about.

Back