Sherman William T. Sherman being a "divine being"

Just a fun thread.

Accourding to historian Owen Wister, when General Zachary Taylor was offered the presidency, he said "Only a divine being can refuse to such a temptation"

Well, after General William T. Sherman retired from being General-in-chief, he was offered the presidency of the United States many, many times, even his family implored him to become a President but he kept refusing.

So, Sherman must have been a "divine being" accourding to General Taylor :D

Well he did fight against the vampires. :wink:

While reading his Memoirs I got a strong impression he was making a bid for the presidency. Wish he could have been vice-president with Grant.

While reading his Memoirs I got a strong impression he was making a bid for the presidency. Wish he could have been vice-president with Grant.
Interesting perspective, yet Sherman famously stated if he were nominated, he would not run. And if elected, he would not serve. Who knows? :unsure:

Just finished reading John Marszalek's biography of Sherman. He says that certain Sherman supporters may have held the notion that Sherman's protestations against a candidacy were actually a backhanded plea to be the candidate. But Marszalek discounts that theory after weighing all the evidence that showed overwhelmingly that Sherman had zero interest in politics and the presidency.

Back