William S. Harney

Is the crutched man exiting a house? If so, I've seen it, and tried it a wee bit in my earlier days, but never got further than that. I think I have it saved somewhere.

I'm currently working on a photograph with 50-odd artillery men of the 3rd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery outside on a sunny day, so far I've gone crazy and quit three times.
Do not quit, just keep plugging along, one step at a time!:smile coffee:

Last edited:
I just noticed that when you blow up the pic with the Zouave it it, the man in the greatcoat does offer him a canteen. Now I feel better. :happy:

William S. Harney's the bastard who hung 30 members of the Saint Patrick Battalion in the Mexican-American War during the Battle of Chapultepec. He even had it down the minute the American Flag flew over the castle.
How kind and merciful of him. If it was up to me, I would have each of the traitors strapped to the cannons of their own battery, and blown through the torso.

O.O. Howard served under Harney in Florida in 1857. Here's what he wrote home about him:"The old Genl. is most terrific in his anger. He is impatient, no reasoner, jumps at conclusions, rather self-willed but continually shifting his tactics."

How kind and merciful of him. If it was up to me, I would have each of the traitors strapped to the cannons of their own battery, and blown through the torso.
Hanging deserters was illegal at the time, and my point is that what he did was sick, besides one of the deserters had both his legs blown off. The only reason they deserted was because they were being wrongfully oppressed by their prejudice superiors.

In the Blackhawk War Harney had 2 Lts named Lincoln and Davis. They all were involved in foot races and wrestling. Davis knowing him well probably had a lot to do with the south's offer. I've read Harney thought he was headed to DC to take total command but Lincoln owed too much politically to McClellan. Harney could be very brutal....many accounts that were particularly shocking in those days. The war would have been very different if he had his way.

Back