William McKough (McKeough) Company E, 14th Wisconsin Infantry

ScotWarner

Cadet
Hello Civil War enthusiast friends. I grew up on an 80 acre farm in Manitowoc county, Wisconsin. When I was maybe 10 years old, I got really interested in the American Civil War. Our best friends in the area were next door a half mile. Our farms abutted each other. Now in my almost 60's, I've done a little research of the area and discovered that two brothers built and lived on those two farms and the brother who lived in our neighbors house had enlisted in the Union army in February 1864. His unit fought around Atlanta and then was assigned as pontoon guard during Sherman's march to Savannah and up through the Carolina's. He was mustered out in October, 1865. He died of TB in 1870 and his family sold the farm, looks like somewhere before 1880 to the ancestors of the family who we knew. His brother Patrick, lived in the house where I grew up, passed it down to his son John, who lived there until 1921 when he passed away. I tried to get muster rolls and his pension records, which his wife received until she passed away around 1920. Evidently she had gone with relatives in Michigan. I couldn't figure out how to get the info from the national archives, so I would appreciate any help. Thank you too, ScotWarner.

Hello Civil War enthusiast friends. I grew up on an 80 acre farm in Manitowoc county, Wisconsin. When I was maybe 10 years old, I got really interested in the American Civil War. Our best friends in the area were next door a half mile. Our farms abutted each other. Now in my almost 60's, I've done a little research of the area and discovered that two brothers built and lived on those two farms and the brother who lived in our neighbors house had enlisted in the Union army in February 1864. His unit fought around Atlanta and then was assigned as pontoon guard during Sherman's march to Savannah and up through the Carolina's. He was mustered out in October, 1865. He died of TB in 1870 and his family sold the farm, looks like somewhere before 1880 to the ancestors of the family who we knew. His brother Patrick, lived in the house where I grew up, passed it down to his son John, who lived there until 1921 when he passed away. I tried to get muster rolls and his pension records, which his wife received until she passed away around 1920. Evidently she had gone with relatives in Michigan. I couldn't figure out how to get the info from the national archives, so I would appreciate any help. Thank you too, ScotWarner.

Welcome. You already have more info than I could provide from http://civilwardata.com/. The national archives will copy his service and pension file for a price. Are you aware of his burial site? Buried: St Augustine Cemetery, Kossuth Twp, WI
Gravesite: row 13; #1
Source: Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers: War of the Rebellion. Wisconsin service index cards are available at fold 3. https://www.fold3.com/ You could sign up for a free 2-week trial. Hope this helps.

Thank you sir! Yes, his gravesite is at that church you named up in Reifs Mills. From where our house sat when you looked out the window out towards Reifs Mills, way out in the distance, 2 or 3 miles I suspect, another of the McKeough brothers, Michael, lived up near that church. The whole family is buried up there except for those who moved away. The grave marker says Company C but the records say E. Ya, I was more than willing to pay the 30 bucks to get that info in the archives but after I signed up, password and all, I hit a dead end somehow. Frustrating when you haven't been to a site before and it gets confusing.

go to www.familysearch.org

Click on the tab for "search" then click on the tab for "catalog"

Type the word "wisconsin" in the blank for a place'; just below that blank, under the word "availability" click "online" then hit enter

Scroll down the list of catalog topics about the state of Wisconsin - scroll down until you you see an entry for "Military records-civil war-1861-1865 [8]" Click on that

The 3rd of 8 entries that come up is "Military records". Click on it

Scroll down. You will see a list of microfilms that have been digitized and put on the internet. the 14th Wisconsin is on the 4th microfilm roll -(4th item down). On the right hand side of the screen, click on the "camera" looking icon.

You will need to scroll down to page 495 of 611. William McKeough's info is the next to the last entry on page 495.

Thank you very much for the help! I did all that you said THEN I got put over to sign up for free account. Okay, so I put in my email address, made a password then it told me to go to email to activate. Evidently they take their own sweet time because it wasn't there yet so I will check on it later. Were his muster rolls there so I can track his movements somewhat? Thank you too. Scot

You get a summary of the muster rolls kept by the State of Wisconsin. If you have not received the e-mail yet - something is wrong and you should try again!

go to www.familysearch.org
..... William McKeough's info is the next to the last entry on page 495.
I did all that you said THEN I got put over to sign up for free account.
Here is what is available at family search when following the instructions that @BrianB provides. Thanks Brian - I never knew those records were available there!

I clipped and pasted to get the right records in one image and also provided transcription of the handwriting for you @ScotWarner
1579149320437.png

Wow! You guys are great! I haven't had much time lately (work) but I check in early in the mornings and I really appreciate all the help you've all given.

Back