Restricted William McKinley not so popular anymore

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
*Sigh*. And Holy Heck, who does not agree indigenous populations were treated like bugs? Still are. The thing is, McKinley, while not exactly up for sainthood, was a zillionth portion of the disasters and had a lot of good things to say, across the board. Not being excusatory but good grief- we continue to venerate Wilson, of all presidents. Those 2 shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, so disparate were they.

Well, one man suggested removing it to McKinleyville, best idea so far. Gosh we're going to have a gray landscape. Like a lunar cityscape.

If we would all stop yelling at each other, and sit down, maybe listen, like folks are supposed to do in a democracy, so much would be resolved.

Andersonh1

Major
We keep saying it's not going to stop at Confederate monuments. Everything's on the chopping block, it seems. :frown:

I mean, look at some of these quotes from the article, substitute McKinley's name with Jefferson Davis or Robert E. Lee and see if it's not exactly the same language.

For many speakers, the statue of the nation’s 25th president known for pushing American interventionism is an overtly racist image that has no place in Arcata. Others, however, see a historic figure and a piece of the city’s past that should be preserved.

---------------

After the votes were made, the standing-room-only crowd that spilled out of the council chambers broke out in loud applause with many calling out, “thank you” from the audience.

But there were a few moments of tension during the meeting, with some audience members heckling a speaker who voiced the minority view that McKinley should be celebrated as a Civil War veteran who dedicated his life to public service before he was felled by an assassin’s bullet.

----------------

For Pitino’s part, taking down McKinley’s statue should just be the start.

“I have to say that when I look at the statue of McKinley, and all that, I’m glad that we agreed to get rid of the statue and I’d love to see the town north of us not be called McKinleyville anymore,” he said.

If we would all stop yelling at each other, and sit down, maybe listen, like folks are supposed to do in a democracy, so much would be resolved.
Amen to that.

Last edited:

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
We keep saying it's not going to stop at Confederate monuments. Everything's on the chopping block, it seems. :frown:

I mean, look at some of these quotes from the article, substitute McKinley's name for Jefferson Davis or Robert E. Lee and see if it's not exactly the same language.

For many speakers, the statue of the nation’s 25th president known for pushing American interventionism is an overtly racist image that has no place in Arcata. Others, however, see a historic figure and a piece of the city’s past that should be preserved.

---------------

After the votes were made, the standing-room-only crowd that spilled out of the council chambers broke out in loud applause with many calling out, “thank you” from the audience.

But there were a few moments of tension during the meeting, with some audience members heckling a speaker who voiced the minority view that McKinley should be celebrated as a Civil War veteran who dedicated his life to public service before he was felled by an assassin’s bullet.

----------------

For Pitino’s part, taking down McKinley’s statue should just be the start.

“I have to say that when I look at the statue of McKinley, and all that, I’m glad that we agreed to get rid of the statue and I’d love to see the town north of us not be called McKinleyville anymore,” he said.

Amen to that.
Honor for this rabid imperialist is one of the better examples of the hypocrisy of US history.

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
As further info:

Arcata is a hub of liberal thought typical of a college town, a place where environmentalism and social activism are broadly embraced.[26] Humboldt County fits the statewide trend of increasingly liberal coastal counties and conservative interior counties, but some conservative voters remain.[27] College students have, at times, been mayor or city council members.

Arcata was the first city to have a Green Party majority in their city council. Arcata is also one of three cities in California and one of four cities in the United States to have ever held a Green Party majority in their city councils.[28]
Building that the plaque commemorates:

upload_2018-4-2_8-45-37.jpeg

The Jacoby Building, commonly known as Jacoby's Storehouse, on the Plaza in Arcata, is one of Humboldt County's oldest commercial buildings (the first floor dates from 1857), and is also on the National Register of Historic Places.​

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Notice that these places never put the proposition up to a public referendum. It’s always the city council with an activist mayor. Why? Because it wouldn’t pass.
How many referendums are held in your locality? We only have them for the school and library budgets. Everything else is decided by the elected village council.

RobertP

Major
How many referendums are held in your locality? We only have them for the school and library budgets. Everything else is decided by the elected village council.
For the vast majority of civic matters most people don’t care and therefore don’t vote. I suspect and bet you do too that something like this would garner much more interest than your everyday city code amendment, especially since it’s the centerpiece of your town. So why risk it on a public referendum?

Last edited:

Viper21

Sergeant Major
For the vast majority of civic matters most people don’t care and therefore don’t vote. I suspect and bet you do too that something like this would garner much more interest than your everyday city code amendment, especially since it is the centerpiece of your town. So why risk it on a public referendum.
These type of issues tend to fill up Council chambers. "Regular" meetings, with little to no controversy, one can usually hear a pin drop from inside the chambers.....

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The guy spear-heading this removal is my cousin. He's a 'community organizer'. Talk about going to college and getting radicalized. We get into a rip-snorting hissy fit over this - his bunch has a goal of renaming every river, town, hill and highway back to Native names. To me, the horse done left the barn a hundred years ago. We save what we have left, and work to make room for our voice. As I've said before, you can't erase 'their' history without erasing your own. None of this statue dumping does a bit of good to help Natives. These guys don't guard the sacred sites or work to keep cultural areas from being snatched up by greedy developers or protect burial grounds - which are being dug up all over the place. I said, cousin, why don't you work for that? Activism is needed there. Nope. Can't even talk to him. Been there done that, boy - helped feed AIM at Alcatraz.

Just one more thing for the young'uns. If you're going to be militant, at least get your tattoo right. The gals standing with a poster and their 111 chin tattoos. They got the wrong ones! Theirs aren't their tribe, don't have their clan or their status - don't even mention bride price. If you're going to be 'traditional', at least get it right!
Edited.

leftyhunter

Colonel

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
And said blacks would not suffer physical retaliation if they refused to support Confederate monuments?
My point is blacks of voting age were not allowed to vote if they wanted Confederate monuments. Therefore why the criticism of contemporary voters not being able to vote on removal of monuments?
Leftyhunter
Beeecauuuse.......removing history, or sanitizing history to the likings of certain groups, does not hide history nor change the facts of history.Those remain regardless of pulling down momuments and attempts to rewrite history into some kind of touchy feeley make everyone feel good and vilify a certain segment. History ain't pretty and ain't sweet alot of the time but this stuff shore don't change it ....it remains, the cruel facts, the blood, the unjustness always REMAINS.