William McKinley, Coffee and Antietam

Just saw these references to future Presidents McKinley and Hayes at the Third Battle of Winchester battlefield

20201005_084846.jpg

20201005_085320.jpg

The Monument at Antietam goes on to read:

"Sergeant McKinley Co E. 23rd Ohio Vol. Infantry, while in charge of the Commissary Department, on the afternoon of the day of the battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862, personally and without orders served "hot coffee" and "Warm food" to every man in the Regiment, on this spot and in doing so had to pass under fire."
I remember reading this monument and wondering if they really put up a monument for a waiter. Harsh, I know. But when you think of all the acts of heroism on that field, and this gets a fairly large monument, it struck me as "off". I'm sure the coffee was appreciated....but a monument?

I remember reading this monument and wondering if they really put up a monument for a waiter. Harsh, I know. But when you think of all the acts of heroism on that field, and this gets a fairly large monument, it struck me as "off". I'm sure the coffee was appreciated....but a monument?
The monument was erected in 1903, slightly two years after McKinley's assassination. If you read some of the literature of that time, you'll see many publications referring to "our martyred president" which pretty well explains the impetus to honor him with a monument.

Back