William Henry Fitzhugh Payne?

bottlines

Private
OK guys, this one has me reaching out for help. This guy somewhat resembles Payne and the place, Washington D.C. would be correct for the late 1860's, but I cannot find a signature to compare this one to. I found one where he crossed out a name and wrote his initials and Payne, but not a full signature. Anyone with a better eye than me figure this out? I do know the middle initial looks like an M, but faded a bit. May not even be him, but thought I would check anyway.
William 1.jpg
William 2.jpg

Hmmmm. I don't know? Shape of the eyes looks pretty different, even for a much later image. Ears seems to be set and shaped correctly though.
upload_2017-11-11_14-14-25.png

The woman to whom the photo is inscribed Mrs. Mary Criglar. That's a pretty unusual last name. This could be her?
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/102245156/mary-nella-criglar

Last edited:
OK guys, this one has me reaching out for help. This guy somewhat resembles Payne and the place, Washington D.C. would be correct for the late 1860's, but I cannot find a signature to compare this one to. I found one where he crossed out a name and wrote his initials and Payne, but not a full signature. Anyone with a better eye than me figure this out? I do know the middle initial looks like an M, but faded a bit. May not even be him, but thought I would check anyway.View attachment 165541 View attachment 165542
I am probably alone in this, but frankly, when I read your post, I didn't know who Payne was. I checked and found the Wikipedia article on William H. F. Payne.
Certainly the photo they have- particularly looking at the eyes- matches your photo.
William_Henry_Fitzhugh_Payne.jpg

Back