Willard marker at Gettysburg

infomanpa

1st Lieutenant
I didn't realize until yesterday that there is a trail from the Pennsylvania monument to the Willard marker located in the brush of the Plum Run swale.
20191011_131615.jpg

Here is a view from the marker back to the Pennsylvania monument where the trail begins.
20191011_131715.jpg

I was there a few weeks ago with the idea of making it to that marker. I looked for a trail from the swale, from the battery just south of it, and from the bunch of trees where Hancock was wounded and couldn't find a trail. It was still a fun trip though, ended up going to the Monocacy Battlefield the following day and walked all over that one.

I was there a few weeks ago with the idea of making it to that marker. I looked for a trail from the swale, from the battery just south of it, and from the bunch of trees where Hancock was wounded and couldn't find a trail. It was still a fun trip though, ended up going to the Monocacy Battlefield the following day and walked all over that one.

I went over to it once on one of my many trips here from when I lived out west. Do not remember if I went by trail or just walked across the field; that can be tricky at times though, especially when you're walking along and your entire foot sinks into the mud--not fun! I'll have to get out there again and take the trail proper if I can find it; that may be what I did all along, just don't remember. I just remember getting out there and thinking "Wow, this is so neat that I got out this isolated marker!"

Gosh, I've still got to get out to Monocacy. I don't live too far from it now.

I went over to it once on one of my many trips here from when I lived out west. Do not remember if I went by trail or just walked across the field; that can be tricky at times though, especially when you're walking along and your entire foot sinks into the mud--not fun! I'll have to get out there again and take the trail proper if I can find it; that may be what I did all along, just don't remember. I just remember getting out there and thinking "Wow, this is so neat that I got out this isolated marker!"

It's not obvious at all. Here is the trail location:
Capture.JPG

I'm impressed that you could walk across the field. I've attempted it myself and because of the extensive and tall brush I was only able to go a few feet. Nice pic. Where is it taken from?

I'm impressed that you could walk across the field. I've attempted it myself and because of the extensive and tall brush I was only able to go a few feet. Nice pic. Where is it taken from?

Are you asking about the picture in my later post? That is from Google Earth. If you follow the path where I drew the red line, you will avoid most of the tall brush.

Are you asking about the picture in my later post? That is from Google Earth. If you follow the path where I drew the red line, you will avoid most of the tall brush.
Oh I see. Google Earth is great. Thanks.

Great post @infomanpa. The "Harper's Ferry Cowards" redeemed themselves at Gettysburg. Willard's boys (125th NY, 126th NY, 39th NY and the 111th NY moved from the right (north) of th 1st Mn to their left (south of the 1st Mn).

The 39th NY then moved southwest between the Trostle Farm and Weikert's woods. The 11th NY then moved out to the immediate left (south) of the 1MN.

The 125th NY ended up to be the furthest south of Willard's remaining men with the 126th NY to the immediate right (north) of the 125th. They hit Barksdale's 17 Ms, 13th Ms and 18th Ms (aligned south to north) and forced them to retreat.

For very good reasons, the 1st Mn gets many accolades for their courageous advance, but the 125th,126th and 111 Ny never seems to get enough credit for their courageous actions on July 2nd.

You have heard this from me many times, but walking to the Willard death marker is best done in the cold months. I really like to go there when the ground is frozen but with no snow.

You have heard this from me many times, but walking to the Willard death marker is best done in the cold months. I really like to go there when the ground is frozen but with no snow.
I agree. I sought it out about 4-1/2 years ago - March, 2015. Even then the ground had started to that and I had to step carefully.

Back