Will the real General Finegan please Stand up?

RedRover

Sergeant Major
Some years ago, an archivist showed me two photographs purported to be General Joseph Finegan of Florida, and told me he was unconvinced they were the same man. I see the the differences, but there is also the possibility of injury/illness/stress affecting the general's appearance. Maybe even unflattering lighting in the photo parlor? I'd like to find out what others might think.
Finegan commanded the CS forces involved in the Battle of Olustee, Florida (Feb. 20, 1864), and subsequently commanded a brigade in Lee's army.
Attached are the images in question.

1585866110262.png
1585866159723.png

Photo #1. Photo#2.

The first (left) is the commonly seen image of the general, with a colonel's insignia on his collar, and no sleeve braid, etc. the second image (right) is also purported to be of General Finegan. He is wearing a coat with the buttons spaced in twos--per the CS Army correct for a Brigadier-general, like Finegan. there is sleeve braid, but the collar is made plain, and devoid of insignia. I don't see the uniform coats as particularly relevant given the common informality among Confederate Officers. Indeed Finegan is described in combat at Cold Harbor etc. in Virginia wearing a citizen's coat and top-hat, and waving a cane... Now, there is an 1861 image of Finegan, taken when he participated in the State's secession convention. it is at center below, with the others for comparison.
1585866375283.png
1585866343993.png
1585866429216.png

Please share any opinions on the subject.

Best,

Jesse Marshall,
Florida.

I've actually never seen photo #2, I'm very familiar with #1. They look different to me but I looked up the image and several sites say it is Finegan. The stress of war could certainly change your image, just look at photos of Lincoln. After the battle of Olustee he took the Florida troops he commanded to Virginia to help replenish the dwindling Florida Brigade (2nd, 5th, and 8th Fl.) His troops were reorganized into the 9th, 10th, and 11th Fl. and he was given command of the brigade. Finegan went back to Florida before the end of the war leaving the brigade in the command of Colonel David Lang of the 8th who had commanded the brigade at Gettysburg.

Some years ago, an archivist showed me two photographs purported to be General Joseph Finegan of Florida, and told me he was unconvinced they were the same man. I see the the differences, but there is also the possibility of injury/illness/stress affecting the general's appearance. Maybe even unflattering lighting in the photo parlor? I'd like to find out what others might think.
Finegan commanded the CS forces involved in the Battle of Olustee, Florida (Feb. 20, 1864), and subsequently commanded a brigade in Lee's army.

View attachment 353498 View attachment 353499
Photo #1. Photo#2.

The first (left) is the commonly seen image of the general, with a colonel's insignia on his collar, and no sleeve braid, etc. the second image (right) is also purported to be of General Finegan. He is wearing a coat with the buttons spaced in twos--per the CS Army correct for a Brigadier-general, like Finegan. there is sleeve braid, but the collar is made plain, and devoid of insignia. I don't see the uniform coats as particularly relevant given the common informality among Confederate Officers. Indeed Finegan is described in combat at Cold Harbor etc. in Virginia wearing a citizen's coat and top-hat, and waving a cane... Now, there is an 1861 image of Finegan, taken when he participated in the State's secession convention. it is at center below, with the others for comparison.
View attachment 353501View attachment 353500View attachment 353502

Best,

Jesse Marshall,
Florida.

They look like two different men to me.

According to one of his soldiers at Olustee, Finegan was "a born fighter, of hot Irish blood, and I have a vivid memory of how his stumpy figure and fiery horse went flashing to and fro ahead of his men." The second man looks too gaunt and angular to fit that description.

View attachment 353498 View attachment 353499
Photo #1. Photo#2.

View attachment 353501View attachment 353500View attachment 353502

Best,

Jesse Marshall,
Florida.

The second man also has a completely different nose shape and a lump to the side of his nose.

The second man also has a completely different nose shape and a lump to the side of his nose.

I see that too and a few years ago would have said the same thing? THEN began poking around more in these old treasures- it's REALLY hard sometimes! I'm not saying they are the same person- but boy, once in awhile there'll be a few images you'd swear couldn't be the same person and turn out to be him/her.

Between lighting, over/under exposure, differences in poses, noses can be deceiving. This one is awfully strong, agree it's unlikely. But- hmmm. Can't quite rule it out.

Based on the nose, I don't think they are the same guy. In my experiance people of similar appearance must be a common occurrence because I have been mistaken for somebody else many, many, times. Gabby Hays once, that was depressing!

John

Back