Will the new guidance about mask wearing cause reenactments to be canceled?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I looks like we are going back to masks wearing inside. I am assuming this will impact reenactments with some events being canceled this fall. This is sad. I was thinking of attending a couple of reenactments as a spectator this fall and even if the events are not canceled I may have to give some thought to deciding if I should attend.

Are we about to get swamped with canceled events this fall?

Interestingly, this year I attended a NJ Renaissance Festival (my core period of history), and the theme was "Masqued Ball" - so everyone wore masks, often colorful and always functional. Nice idea, and it worked (except for the ungodly heat)!

As for cancellations, I'm a wargamer who attends the large Historicon wargaming convention regularly. This major event was cancelled in 2020, and for 2021 it has been moved (for safety concerns) from July to November. Hopefully, upcoming conditions will not force a further delay or cancellation.

I looks like we are going back to masks wearing inside. I am assuming this will impact reenactments with some events being canceled this fall. This is sad. I was thinking of attending a couple of reenactments as a spectator this fall and even if the events are not canceled I may have to give some thought to deciding if I should attend.

Are we about to get swamped with canceled events this fall?
But aren't most reenactments outside? Don't see where an inside mandate should have much effect as outside would still be rather optional. Also there seems somewhat less emphasis on those vaccinated, and some types of public/private events it seems vaccinated is a requirement.

Interestingly, this year I attended a NJ Renaissance Festival (my core period of history), and the theme was "Masqued Ball" - so everyone wore masks, often colorful and always functional. Nice idea, and it worked (except for the ungodly heat)!

As for cancellations, I'm a wargamer who attends the large Historicon wargaming convention regularly. This major event was cancelled in 2020, and for 2021 it has been moved (for safety concerns) from July to November. Hopefully, upcoming conditions will not force a further delay or cancellation.
November is still in the future and no one knows how COVID will go for the next few months. Any large indoor event is open to being canceled if thing go poorly.

I won't be surprised. There is even talk of wearing masks outside. They want control and will get it.

They have many cases here in Florida but 98% are unvaccinated people but vaccinated people must be the ones to wear masks. Nothing makes sense. I just wish things get better.
The mask thing seems increasingly useless to me........While perhaps certainly possible for vaccinated to have mild case and contribute to spread, its more likely the unvaccinated will have it and contribute to spread

And it seems rather obvious those who don't think they need vaccine and refuse to get it.......also are the ones who don't think they need and refuse to wear the masks as well.........

I can see the events at historical villages or other public events being cancelled but stuff on private land will not be. Just my guess
I am guessing you might be right. Most public venues have some fear of being associated with the spread of COVID or seemingly supporting events that could be seen as risky.

We haven't had a "Civil War Days" weekend long event here for many years, and the reason why has nothing to do with this covid-19 mess. Really sad, the 3 day long celebrations used to draw lots of local/out of town participants and spectators; everyone had a great time and the city made lots of $$ off of it. GONE now.

And it seems rather obvious those who don't think they need vaccine and refuse to get it.......also are the ones who don't think they need and refuse to wear the masks as well.........
I have had heart issues for years and my wife is coming off lung cancer treatments that have essentially made her an invalid.
Neither of us will be getting the 'vaccine'.
Agree that the masks appear to be increasingly useless; yet my wife and I both will and do wear masks when required by businesses
if we wish to patronize them..

These days we leave the home for groceries and medical appointments and an extremely rare dinner.

Last edited:
I have had heart issues for years and my wife is coming off lung cancer treatments that have essentially made her an invalid.
Neither of us will be getting the 'vaccine'.
Agree that the masks appear to be increasingly useless; yet my wife and I both will and do wear masks when required by businesses
if we wish to patronize them..

These days we leave the home for groceries and medical appointments and an extremely rare dinner.
I have had both heart problems and cancer, and both my heart and cancer doc recommended the vaccine, so I got it, no problems from it. Though by time vaccine was available, I was a year removed from radiation and chemo.

I have had both heart problems and cancer, and both my heart and cancer doc recommended the vaccine, so I got it, no problems from it. Though by time vaccine was available, I was a year removed from radiation and chemo.
Am happy you've had no problems from the vaccine, particularly given the preexisting conditions!

Last edited:
I will have to give some thoughts about the risks of being a spectator at a reenactment. I had the vaccine and had no problems with it. Still even if I will not get seriously ill I hate to get COVID and pass it on to others.

Back