Wigfall, Louis T.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
"It provides land for the land-less, homes for the home-less, but no slaves for the slave-less."

--US Senator Louis T. Wigfall of Texas, explaining his opposition to the original version of the Homestead Act, eventually passed in 1861. (Wigfall is reputed to have used a different word that "slave," though.)

Provided by Andy Hall on the 'Southern Nationalism' thread, September 3, 2012, post #5.

We somehow ended up with a major move the week before Christmas, talk about busy- but couldn't help but click on this before flying off to continue the craziness. I'd never heard of Wigfall before joining here, then a thread popped up where he was 'Shhhh, don't say the name!' Of course someone did, and Nathanb kindly filled me in. You should read the Century Magazine article of the officer's description of his row out to the fort- it's priceless! You just know they thought twice about hauling him IN.

I still say someone at Disney knew the guy, asked him to sit still for a minute while inventing Foghorn Leghorn.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXwYaD9wBlDPXeWrdhlP92E8em28MZvJvHk5b9g8hM0uoLZMII.jpg

"I said that one of the causes, and the one that has created more excitement and dissatisfaction than any other, is, that the Government will not hereafter, and when it is necessary, interpose to protect slaves as property in the Territories; and I asked the Senator if he would abandon his squatter-sovereignty notions and agree to protect slaves as all other property."

Senator Louis Trezevant Wigfall, December 11, 1860, on the floor of the Senate. (Source: The Congressional Globe, 36th Cong., 2nd Sess., p. 58.)

"The Star of the West swaggered into Charleston Harbor, received a blow planted full in the face, and staggered out. Your flag has been insulted; redress it if you dare. You have submitted to it for two months, and you submit to it for ever... Napoleon Bonaparte once said that he trusted in Providence, but he said that he found that Providence always took sides with the artillery. We have taken forts and guns because we think Providence again will take sides with the artillery; and we have been acquiring a good deal of it."

Senator Louis T. Wigfall, on the floor of the US Senate. (Source: Traitors: The Secession Period, November 1860-July 1861 - Edward S. Cooper - Google Books.)

"It provides land for the land-less, homes for the home-less, but no slaves for the slave-less."

--US Senator Louis T. Wigfall of Texas, explaining his opposition to the original version of the Homestead Act, eventually passed in 1861. (Wigfall is reputed to have used a different word that "slave," though.)

Provided by Andy Hall on the 'Southern Nationalism' thread, September 3, 2012, post #5.

Stephen Douglas habitually used that banned word as well and I believe it was Salmon Chase, a man not known for his sense of humor, who pricked Douglas' ambitions by saying, "Douglas, no man will ever be president who spells 'negro' with two g's."

We somehow ended up with a major move the week before Christmas, talk about busy- but couldn't help but click on this before flying off to continue the craziness. I'd never heard of Wigfall before joining here, then a thread popped up where he was 'Shhhh, don't say the name!' Of course someone did, and Nathanb kindly filled me in. You should read the Century Magazine article of the officer's description of his row out to the fort- it's priceless! You just know they thought twice about hauling him IN.

I still say someone at Disney knew the guy, asked him to sit still for a minute while inventing Foghorn Leghorn.

Bingo.

Just saw that, Boxing Day meant moving, Red Harvest TOO funny! Of course I lived in the UK for 5 years, was too dim witted at the time to ask anybody what on earth the whole thing was really about- seemed kind of nice, but couldn't quite put my finger on where the box was. Everyone seemed to be drinking a lot that day, thought well let's see, wine in a box?

Blond student abroad, not attractive.

Back