Widows Pensions Question

JWheeler331

First Sergeant
I am trying to find information on Levi A. Patton who was a member of the 26 Alabama Infantry Company G.

I was able to find the following information;

Enlisted September 28, 1861 as resident of Jefferson County, Alabama. 5 feet 10 inches tall. Wounded at Chancellorsville May 2-3, 1863. Captured at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863 and sent to Fort Delaware. Signed oath and released on June 14, 1865 to Jefferson County, Alabama. He applied for pension in Faulkner County, Arkansas in 1913 and he died August 8, 1926. His widow Rebecca applied for pension in 1927.

Fold3 does not have any records on him and I have contacted Fort Delaware and they had very little info on him.

Obviously the above info was obtained from somewhere but where? Is there anywhere else to find service records or Widows Pensions? I even looked on Ancestry.com to see if one of his family members may have posted something public there.

Thanks,
Joe Wheeler

Here is what I was able to find on fold3 (you may have already found these):
Page 1.jpg Page 2.jpg

Otherwise, I would contact the National Archives, and see if they can help you out. As some on here have mentioned before, the Confederate CSRs do have gaps, due to a variety of reasons, including a fire in Richmond that consumed many files.

As for the pensions, I would check with the Arkansas State Archives. Only the former Confederate States themselves provided pensions to Confederate Veterans, and the Federal Gov't had and has no role in these types of pensions. I've seen some states that are digitizing them. I'm personally not familiar with how Arkansas does things.

Here is what I was able to find on fold3 (you may have already found these):
View attachment 25954 View attachment 25955

Otherwise, I would contact the National Archives, and see if they can help you out. As some on here have mentioned before, the Confederate CSRs do have gaps, due to a variety of reasons, including a fire in Richmond that consumed many files.

As for the pensions, I would check with the Arkansas State Archives. Only the former Confederate States themselves provided pensions to Confederate Veterans, and the Federal Gov't had and has no role in these types of pensions. I've seen some states that are digitizing them. I'm personally not familiar with how Arkansas does things.

Would they have applied in Arkansas even though he was in an Alabama unit?

AFAIK they always applied in their state of residence, not their state of wartime service.

AFAIK is a mystery to me, :smile:, but absolutely, the state of residence was responsible for the pension, not the state of wartime service. Confederate pensions were also means tested - you had to "prove" you were broke to get one.

Back