Why would a Confederate discard a Spencer carbine?

"out of fix" was a mid-19th century colloquialism meaning essentially "out of order". For example, Jos. Bilby in Civil War Firearms quotes Robert L. Mountjoy of the 7th Illinois as saying of that unit's Henrys: "there is not much rigging about them & I don't think they will get out of fix easy."

Texas Johnny, I think old Witherspoon may have misremembered a bit in describing his post-war reminisce with an "Iowa" trooper. He likely picked up a Spencer from the 2d New Jersey, not the 3d Iowa. According to Bearss, Forrest at Brice's Crossroads, the 2d New Jersey was the only regiment armed with Spencers at the Brice's Crossroads battle, and the 7th Tennessee (Witherspoon's regiment) attacked the 7th Indiana and 2d New Jersey of Waring's brigade, who were crouched behind a heavy rail fence on the right end of Waring's brigade line defending the Baldwyn road.

The 3d and 4th Iowa of Winslow's brigade were further to the right, defending the Fulton road, but a battalion of the 3d was on the left end of Winslow's line, not far from the 2d New Jersey. However, the 3d Iowa had just received it's first full issue of carbines -- Burnsides -- at Benton Barracks in April upon their return from veteran furloughs. They would not get Spencers until January 1865 at Louisville. According to Winslow, the 4th Iowa had a mixture of Union (Cosmopolitan) and Sharps carbines at Brice's Crossroads. They would receive Spencers three weeks after the battle, on July 4th.
Very interesting limberbox, I didn't know the colloquialism. Based on your research it does looks like Witherspoon got his Union regiments confused. Thanks for the excellent insight, it is appreciated!

Back