Uniforms Why were general's coat buttons in groups of pairs or groups of three?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I was wondering why generals had their buttons in groups of two and groups of three. This allowed soldiers to tell the rank of a general but why was this adopted? Perhaps the U.S. Army copied this from the practice of some other nation as a way to identify generals. I know some European regiments set thier button is certain groups but I do not recall European generals using this a an indication of rank. I might have to research European generals coat buttons to find the origin of this practice.

I was wondering why generals had their buttons in groups of two and groups of three. This allowed soldiers to tell the rank of a general but why was this adopted? Perhaps the U.S. Army copied this from the practice of some other nation as a way to identify generals. I know some European regiments set thier button is certain groups but I do not recall European generals using this a an indication of rank. I might have to research European generals coat buttons to find the origin of this practice.
The pattern of the buttons on US officer’s coat was a mark of rank. The shoulder boards of a man standing at a distance or mounted on a horse were impossible to see. The buttons on his coat, on the other hand, were unmistakable.

Generals had a certain latitude in their manner of dress. Lee wore a colonel’s uniform. Grant wore a common soldier’s sack coat in the field. Perhaps that was to make him less conspicuous when, like at Vicksburg, he rode the line daily accompanied only by his son. Custer characteristically designed his own velvet opera buffa outfit.

I must say that a man dressed in full general’s kit really stands out amid the simple blue over blue of the infantry in line. Add to the bling a personal standard bearer & gaggle of staff & it really shouts look at me.

True but I might add a comment about British Guard uniforms. The British redcoat uniform has changed over the years but today there are 5 regiments that make up the Palace Guards infantry: Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards, Scottish Guards, Welsh Guards and Irish Guards. Each regiment has uniforms with buttons arranged differently, even for enlisted men. The buttons are grouped by 1, 2 , 3, 4 and 5 to distinguish each regiment.

Below is the Welsh Guards @ 5 buttons and Irish Guards @ 4 buttons.
NOTE the buttons on the cuff and the regimental insignia on the collars.
DFDD2636-3FB7-4F84-B58F-76ED0F145A84.jpeg

2B8792A5-1C2F-4847-9021-1CE4ED795CB7.jpeg

I had to throw that in to show there are other reasons for grouping buttons.

Last edited:
True but I might add a comment about British Guard uniforms. The British redcoat uniform has changed over the years but today there are 5 regiments that make up the Palace Guards infantry: Grenadier Guards, Coldstram Guards, Scottish Guards, Welsh Guards and Irish Guards. Each regiment has uniforms with buttons arranged differently, even for enlisted men. The buttons are grouped by 1, 2 , 3, 4 and 5 to distinguish each regiment.

Below is the Welsh Guards @ 5 buttons and Irish Guards @ 4 buttons.
NOTE the buttons on the cuff and the regimental insignia on the collars.
View attachment 390652
View attachment 390653

I had to throw that in to show there are other reasons for grouping buttons.
Thanks. I learn something new everyday.

I have CDvs of at least Butler with just stars and not straps and pretty sure Grang allowed it so as to take the undo attention away due to snipers.
You maybe right...but I do have the CDVs showing otherwise
No, they did not. I refer to General Hancock at Gettysburg as an example of why generals dressed as they did.
In the latter part of the war just wearing the insignia and not the entire sardine tin was allowed for field dress. I also remember a group photo of the jurors at the Wirz trial with chairman Lew Wallace only wearing the two stars of a major general pinned to each shoulder.

I believe generals of that era wanted to stand out. Putting yourself inconspicuosly in the rear wasn't all that inspirational.

John
But after John Sedgewick found that they could hit an elephant at that distance it must've somehow seemed to be a good idea.

In the latter part of the war just wearing the insignia and not the entire sardine tin was allowed for field dress. I also remember a group photo of the jurors at the Wirz trial with chairman Lew Wallace only wearing the two stars of a major general on each shoulder.
Generals had great latitude where their uniforms were concerned. Their personal flag was another place where they could express individuality. Grant’s wry reaction to Meade’s imperial purple & eagle HQ flag comes to mind.

Back