It appears you know darned little about Stephen A. Douglas.Douglas was a anti Slavery Northern Democrat. He took Southern California away from the South with the Compromise of 1850. The Lower South split the Democratic Party in 60 to keep Douglas from being President. He wanted no more Slave States.
He wanted a Lake States TRR.
- in 1847, Douglas married Martha Martin, the daughter of Colonel Robert Martin of North Carolina
- in 1848, Col. Martin died and left a plantation in Mississippi (2500 acres, 100 slaves) to his daughter Martha
- in the will, Douglas was appointed property manager for his wife and given 20% of the income.
- the money from this plantation is largely what funded the start of Douglas' political career and his real estate investments.
- Douglas made an extended visit to the plantation to straighten affairs and hired a manager. He rarely returned after that.
- Martha Douglas died in 1853.
- Douglas remarried in 1856, to Adele Cutts (born in Maryland, living in Washington, D.C. She was descended from a nephew of James Madison and a niece of Rose O'Neal Greenhow (the Confederate spy).
- Douglass was part of Millard Fillmore's bipartisan coalition in the Senate that pushed the Compromise of 1850. This opens large areas of territory to slavery in the West and passes the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 (one of the most constitutionally abusive acts ever passed).
- Douglas thought slavery was an issue to be resolved at the local level (States and Territories). That is not an "anti-slavery Democrat".
- Douglas is the one whose policy of "Popular Sovereignty" opened the Kansas Territory to slavery.