Sherman Why Sherman slept in the daytime

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
Camp in Pine Grove, near Rocky Creek
Fourteenth Day out of Gilkeson County, Ga.
November 29, 1864

He is proverbially the most restless man in the army at night - never sleeps a night straight through, and frequently comes out and pokes round in this style,disregarding all remonstrance as to taking cold. His staff think that just such a freak at Rome brought on the neuralgia attack in the right arm and shoulder which has been troubling him for a month. Joined him and chatted about weather, climate, late hours etc. etc. Says he always wakes up about 3 or 4 a.m. and can't sleep til after daylight; and always likes at that hour to be up and about camp - " best time to hear any movement at a distance ." He makes up by snatches of sleep in daytime. I asked him today if any truth in story of newspapers about two or three soldiers seeing him ( unrecognized ) lying asleep in fence corner one day on Atlanta Campaign....

Major Henry Hitchcock

A Civil War Treasury of Tales, Legends and Folklore
Page 378

300845644330_1_4_1.jpg

How He Was Caught Napping

Sherman was anxiously engaged maturing his plans ( the night of May 13, 1864, before the Battle of Resaca ). Next day, wearied and sleepy, he sat on a log, beside a shady tree, to rest himself, and soon fell asleep. He had but a single orderly with him; and few of the men, as they marched by, knew that he was Sherman.
" Is that a general "? asked one of the men.
" Yes ", said the orderly.
" A pretty way we our commanded when our generals are lying drunk beside the road." exclaimed the soldier, walking off in disgust.
" Stop my man!" said Sherman, jumping up for Sherman sleeps with one eye and one ear, too, open, and heard him.
" Stop my man. I am not drunk. While you were sleeping last night, I was planning for you, sir; and now I was taking a nap. General Sherman never gets drunk, sir!"
The soldier slunk away, and never minded a sleeping general again.

Capt. D.P. Coyningham

Back