Why does it seem like there were no galvanized Confederates?

One way or another over 115,000 Southern whites joined the Union Army. When this number is added to the number of escaped slaves who joined the USCT, then the role of southern born men was a major man power source for the Union Army. Without the Union Southerners, both black and white, the war would have been much more difficult for the Union to have won.

All true. If not for White And Black Southerners, fighting for the Federals. Doubtful the Federals would of won. Add to that, the starving Immigrants recruited by the Federals.

Vote Here:
During the last months of the war, there was an effort to enlist Union prisoners in North Carolina. A few hundred individuals opted for changing sides over starving to death. The galvanized Confederates were given the assignment of guarding a mill. At the first opportunity they turned themselves in. They were sent to Nashville under guard. The war was ending & nobody knew quite what to do with them. They were released & that was the end of it. I am not where I can access my galvanized Confederate folder, so this is from memory.

Vote Here:
Yes. The US government reported that about 3,170 US prisoners joined the enemy. Most of them had come from Salisbury prison in NC. Many of them were Irish immigrants. Several battalions were formed including the 1st and 2nd Foreign Battalions.
Wow didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense they were Irish, they weren't treated very well.

Vote Here:
Unfortunately, most were sent west to fight in the union's indian eradication

Unfortunately, the union sent most west to fight that government’s Indian eradication wars.
They weren’t best pleased when they realized that they had signed 3 year enlistments rather than for the length of the war. Many of them deserted after the war was over. Those that were left were released.

Vote Here:
They weren’t best pleased when they realized that they had signed 3 year enlistments rather than for the length of the war. Many of them deserted after the war was over. Those that were left were released.
On the other hand post ACW the US Army was small and not that many US troops were required to pacify the West.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
On the other hand post ACW the US Army was small and not that many US troops were required to pacify the West.
Leftyhunter
Small by European standards it was still some 57,000 strong post war compared to just 16,000 prior to the Civil War. The regular US Army did not start to downsize till about 1868.

Vote Here:
The 19th Ohio was included in the force (IV Corps and XIII Corps) sent to Texas after the war. This was because of political unrest in Mexico (wouldn't they like to get some territory back? or possible French incursions) and no effective government in Texas, with frontier lawlessness prevailing. Only a strong military presence could bring about some semblance of peace and stability. The men and officers hated that duty and only wanted to be back home with family. So many more died of disease in Texas. The reorganized Michigan 4th Regiment served there until May 1866 with the loss of 119 due to disease or "other causes" and only one due to military action. The 19th Ohio mustered out in Oct.- Nov. 1865. Most were there for a matter of months. I doubt that slaughtering Indians was really part of their mission. i could be wrong, but that is what my research tells me.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Just as a matter of the timeline, during the Civil War period the Sioux war in Minnesota was the only large army v natives operation. In North Dakota, Iowa regiments fought a successful campaign against Sioux bands. It was a vicious campaign that was aimed at destroying the winter meat supplies & horses. A state park in North Dakota commemorates the decisive battle of that campaign. After the war, Red Cloud's War was where some of the Galvanized Yankee's lost their hair. Red Cloud won & the forts in his territory were abandoned by the army & burned by Red Cloud's followers. The resulting treaty was the one that the Custer expedition to the Black Hills violated & provoked the gotterdammerung of the Lakota people.

On the bright side, the treaty made with the Sisseton Wahpenton Oyte in Eastern South Dakota at that time involved army patrols that protected them from other bands who were hostile to them. <swo-nsn.gov> <earthskyweb.com> are links to their present day gov't & hunting licenses.

During the war period, the plaines Indians had an attitude of bemused toleration toward the emigrant trains crossing their territory. The circling of the wagons seen in thousands of movies was a means of corralling the draft animals rather than defense against Indian attacks. The records at Fort Laramie for that period include registers of deaths that occurred during the passage from Saint Louis. Deaths from Indian attacks are extremely rare. They are outnumbered by accidental gunshots by hundreds to one. Large numbers of immigrants died due to the effects of cholera the they contracted at various towns before they crossed the Missouri.

<nps.gov> Fort Laramie & the U.S. Army On the High Plains 1849-1890 is a source that I recommend on this subject.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Southeners were enthusiastic soldiers during the Mexican American War and Jefferson Davis among other prominent Confederate's eagerly led US troops . <Part of post edited as reply to deleted content>
Leftyhunter

Last edited by a moderator:
Vote Here:
Southeners were enthusiastic soldiers during the Mexican American War and Jefferson Davis among other prominent Confederate's eagerly led US troops . <Part of post edited as reply to deleted content>
Leftyhunter
As Americans? Yes....that's why one should refer to them as Americans pursuing US policy. It's indeed what they were and the nation they represented.....

However US and American isn't some bizarre synonym for Confederacy or Confederates....it actually refers to the US and Americans as stated.

Vote Here:
Southeners were enthusiastic soldiers during the Mexican American War and Jefferson Davis among other prominent Confederate's eagerly led US troops .<Part of post edited as reply to deleted content>
Leftyhunter
I'm pretty sure U.S. Grant served in the Mexican war.

And I suppose you are going to tell us in your next post that the US government was helpless to stop it.

Vote Here:
The topic of this thread is "Why were there so few galvanized Confederates." If you have nothing to add to the topic please refrain from posting in this thread.

Many thanks to those who have remained on topic and to those who have attempted to drag this thread back on topic. --- as moderator.

Vote Here:
Back