Restricted Why Must a Civil War History Month be replaced with Another?

4th-MSM

Sergeant
@Union League

New thread for a discussion that began in the Southern Unionist History Month Thread:

Original Question:

Union League said:
Wonder if someone could start a movement to replace Confederate History month with Southern Unionists History month ?

4TH-MSM said:
Serious question (not trying to derail the thread), why must one be replaced with the other? I'm not going to prevent someone from celebrating a Southern Unionist History Month (even though I've never heard of it before now), but I would appreciate the same courtesy if I chose to respect the memory of those who served honorably for the South during a month set aside for it (I do the same for those who served honorably for the North as well).

Replies:

Union League said:
Why would you celebrate the enemies of your country for even a month ? Presuming you are a citizen of the United States.

4TH-MSM said:
I see I'm not going to get a direct answer. As I said, my intent is not to derail the thread (I've been down those rabbit trails before), it was a serious question. But, yes, for the record I am a citizen of the U.S. and am thankful to be one.

Union League said:
Fact is, the times they are a changin'. The old agreement between north and south "aryans" that Foote talked about, that the south would except the outcome and the north respect the Souths bravery (the agreement I grew up with) is over, POC are in the conversation now and many of them want no honoring of the enemy.
I still wonder why anyone would want to celebrate the enemies of their country...

Back