Why "Libertarian" Defenses of the Confederacy and "States RIghts" are Incoherent

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
To All,

Yes, another blog, but interesting to me, at least.

Often I have heard complaints of the "Libertarian" (or would that be "Liberal?") or "pc" views of such on the old Confederacy, yet there are quiet a few of the libertarian viewpoint who actually defend the Confederacy, to include one Professor DiLorenzo.

Here's another view on that viewpoint.

Why "Libertarian" Defenses of the Confederacy and "States' Rights" are Incoherent, by Jonathan Banks, an essay, February 22, 2012.

http://www.libertarianism.org/publications/essays/why-libertarian-defenses-confederacy-states-rights-are-incoherent

Enjoy,
Unionblue

IcarusPhoenix

Sergeant Major
the "Libertarian" (or would that be "Liberal?")
No, no it would not; the two philosophies have about as much in common as a chicken and an avocado. You're certainly never going to find a liberal defending the right of secession, even absent the slavery issue.

It is interesting to note that while this author makes a remarkably compelling counter-argument to libertarian revisionism, he does so by being so remarkably honest that he (inadvertently?) admits that his entire political philosophy is inherently incompatible with Federalism, and conveniently ignores the fact that the very Constitution he's supposed to be an expert in is the embodiment of Federalism. I think, perhaps, he might benefit from some of the incoherency of his compatriots, because he's certainly not doing himself or them any favors.

peteanddelmar

2nd Lieutenant
To All,

Yes, another blog, but interesting to me, at least.

Often I have heard complaints of the "Libertarian" (or would that be "Liberal?") or "pc" views of such on the old Confederacy, yet there are quiet a few of the libertarian viewpoint who actually defend the Confederacy, to include one Professor DiLorenzo.

Here's another view on that viewpoint.

Why "Libertarian" Defenses of the Confederacy and "States' Rights" are Incoherent, by Jonathan Banks, an essay, February 22, 2012.

http://www.libertarianism.org/publications/essays/why-libertarian-defenses-confederacy-states-rights-are-incoherent

Enjoy,
Unionblue
No, no it would not; the two philosophies have about as much in common as a chicken and an avocado. You're certainly never going to find a liberal defending the right of secession, even absent the slavery issue.

It is interesting to note that while this author makes a remarkably compelling counter-argument to libertarian revisionism, he does so by being so remarkably honest that he (inadvertently?) admits that his entire political philosophy is inherently incompatible with Federalism, and conveniently ignores the fact that the very Constitution he's supposed to be an expert in is the embodiment of Federalism. I think, perhaps, he might benefit from some of the incoherency of his compatriots, because he's certainly not doing himself or them any favors.
Ok. Another one of those "I'm not smart enough to stand here things," cause I got lost in the whole thing.

Mild53

First Sergeant
Pretty simple argument supported by the facts. Secession was not primarily about the exercise of states rights, it was about preserving slavery. Reading of secession documents makes that clear.

Last edited: