Lincoln Lee Why Lee and not Thomas?

MikeyB

Sergeant
President Lincoln was willing to give command of the Union armies to Robert E. Lee, a Virginian.

However, Lincoln was also hesitant to rapidly advance Thomas' career, "Let the Virginian wait."

So what's the difference? If you wanted to display a prominent Southerner to rally Unionists back to the flag, wouldn't Thomas do just as well as Robert E. Lee? On the other hand, if you were suspicious of Thomas because he was a Southerner, why do you trust Lee to command your armies?

President Lincoln was willing to give command of the Union armies to Robert E. Lee, a Virginian.

However, Lincoln was also hesitant to rapidly advance Thomas' career, "Let the Virginian wait."

So what's the difference? If you wanted to display a prominent Southerner to rally Unionists back to the flag, wouldn't Thomas do just as well as Robert E. Lee? On the other hand, if you were suspicious of Thomas because he was a Southerner, why do you trust Lee to command your armies?
Thomas was only a major . Lincoln asked the highest ranking officer in the US Army who the best officer in the US Army was and Major General Winfield Scott without hesitation said Col.Robert E.Lee. Scott had been in the Army for decade's so if Scott states that Lee is the best then Lincoln has to go with that assessment.
Leftyhunter

Thomas was only a major . Lincoln asked the highest ranking officer in the US Army who the best officer in the US Army was and Major General Winfield Scott without hesitation said Col.Robert E.Lee. Scott had been in the Army for decade's so if Scott states that Lee is the best then Lincoln has to go with that assessment.
Leftyhunter

Makes sense. Perhaps its truly a shame that Winfield Scott had not kept a closer eye on Thomas' career and been able to act as a stronger supporter of a fellow Virginian, old army Regular Unionist. I don't remember if Scott was officially retired by Mill Springs, but didn't he continue to act as an unofficial adviser after retirement?

I guess what is more confusing is the "let the Virginian wait" quote and Lincoln's lack of trust in Thomas, when he took Scott's word as gospel and was willing to trust his recommendation to appoint yet ANOTHER Virginian to GiC only months earlier.

Makes sense. Perhaps its truly a shame that Winfield Scott had not kept a closer eye on Thomas' career and been able to act as a stronger supporter of a fellow Virginian, old army Regular Unionist. I don't remember if Scott was officially retired by Mill Springs, but didn't he continue to act as an unofficial adviser after retirement?

I guess what is more confusing is the "let the Virginian wait" quote and Lincoln's lack of trust in Thomas, when he took Scott's word as gospel and was willing to trust his recommendation to appoint yet ANOTHER Virginian to GiC only months earlier.
As I recall from my two biographies on Thomas ; Lincoln was at least fair to Thomas. Lincoln offered ( if memory serves( Thomas command of the AoC after firing Buell but instead Thomas declined and Lincoln then offered the command to Major General Rosecrans.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:
Back