Why do southerners still hold grudge?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major_Fool

Private
I mean people in non-rebellious states have let it go.
The southerners did something very unintelligent, we did what any good parent does, smack some sense into them and told them not to do it again. Then we forgot about it.
So why all the "the south will rise again"? For what, another beat down?
So why all the grousing?

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Its not a Southern thing, its an American thing... Americans are fantastic and gracious magnamonous winners, but we suck at losing.. It eats at our very soul....
That, Wil, is the most amazing, wonderful, insightful comment I've seen on the topic. You get the epic win here. :smile:

Remember the speech from Patton...."Americans have never lost a war." LOL. He kinda skipped over this one, didn't he, considering his ancestry. I'm thinking he just CHOSE not to think of it that way. :smile:

JohnnnyReb

Corporal
I don't think they hold a grudge but sometimes you get a little miffed at all the craziness that still goes on in this day and age. I mean you have Virginia getting rid of it's state song because black people thought it was demeaning. A black person wrote that song mind you. They changed street names because they were named after confederate generals because they complained. You have vandals that cost states so much money because they destroy confederate land marks and monuments. You are called a racist for having a confederate flag. There isn't too many days that go by that my boss who is black doesn't jokingly call me a racist or make some remark about it because I am always doing research on my ancestors who fought for the south. I recall one time that they made a big deal about a guy having a confederate flag in his truck window on the military base and was asked to take it off because it was offensive, yet over at the maintenance area they had a pirate flag flying yet no one cared about that flag. And I have yet to see anyone complain about the bonnie blue flag, just the stars and bars. I mean who else but the state of virginia could have a bonnie blue flag with a woman with her boob hanging out and no one care to complain about that. LOL, it just gets silly is all I am saying, I enjoy studying history and that time period and find it so amazing what the men and women during that time period went through. Truly amazing people and stories from both sides.

truthckr

2nd Lieutenant
It might have something to do with the depradations commited by Union forces under W T Sherman and Phil Sheridan in the Southeast (Georgia and the Carolinas) and the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The concept of "Total War" was invented by the Union Forces to bring the CSA to their knees and succeeded beyond all measure. If you think people will soon forget what happened 150 years ago, then you are very mistaken.

You can claim that the rebels deserved what they got, but when did Southerners lay waste to large areas of the North? Other than burning Chambersburg in '64 and foraging in PA in '63, I can think of none. Like all Americans, we Southerns have long memories. Maybe in the next Civil War, which might be on the horizon, some payback can be instituted?

Rob9641

Captain
Annual Winner
I don't think they hold a grudge but sometimes you get a little miffed at all the craziness that still goes on in this day and age. I mean you have Virginia getting rid of it's state song because black people thought it was demeaning. A black person wrote that song mind you. They changed street names because they were named after confederate generals because they complained. You have vandals that cost states so much money because they destroy confederate land marks and monuments. You are called a racist for having a confederate flag. There isn't too many days that go by that my boss who is black doesn't jokingly call me a racist or make some remark about it because I am always doing research on my ancestors who fought for the south. I recall one time that they made a big deal about a guy having a confederate flag in his truck window on the military base and was asked to take it off because it was offensive, yet over at the maintenance area they had a pirate flag flying yet no one cared about that flag. And I have yet to see anyone complain about the bonnie blue flag, just the stars and bars. I mean who else but the state of virginia could have a bonnie blue flag with a woman with her boob hanging out and no one care to complain about that. LOL, it just gets silly is all I am saying, I enjoy studying history and that time period and find it so amazing what the men and women during that time period went through. Truly amazing people and stories from both sides.
It's the CBF that is the focus - not the bonnie blue or any other - because that's the one that's been taken up by the groups that espouse white supremacy. My neighbor built an ugly fence that one of the other neighbors calls the "F U fence," because that is what the ugly fencbuilder is saying to the rest of us. The CBF has become the "F U flag" because so many groups waving it are saying that to certain others.

If you wave the bonnie blue or the first national, those who care will know you are doing it to honor your ancestors and not because you are trying to say "F U" to anybody. On the other hand, if what you want to say is "F U," wave the CBF. Lots of people will understand your message.

Status
Not open for further replies.