Why didn't the South Wait?

UnionTitan

Cadet
Hi All,

There is a question I've always had, even after reading dozens of books on the Civil War: "Why didn't the South wait?"

There were some smart politicians in the south, men that should have been able to cut through the emotional urges that the Lincoln election brought. Why didn't cooler heads prevail and construct a "secret confederacy " that would use the oversized representation the south had in congress to funnel monies, build railroad track and shift more military resources to the south? Lincoln would have definitively added some southerners to his cabinet in efforts to stave off secession (my opinion). Why not bid your time, improve your infrastructure, obstruct Lincoln politically, and then when your ducks are in a row mobilize for war? I've read that John B. Floyd sent arms to the South during his controversial stint as Secretary of War, why not replicate this?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but the question has always stuck in my mind. If anyone could elaborate I'd be thankful!

Back