Why didn't the south realize the effort was moot?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Allie

Captain
Just curious
Many educated people did think they had no chance of winning, at least after Gettysburg and the fall of Vicksburg. The members of the high government expected to be executed for treason if they lost, which meant they had no incentive to surrender. And there's no real way for uneducated people to form an opinion other than the one passed down from above. Think for a moment about how limited most people's perspectives were. The paper, quite logically, is pro-whatever side is occupying because the editors don't want to be arrested for treason, the war is either right there or a long way away and in either case very confusing.

War Horse

Captain
Silver Patron
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
You guys are making my point. I couldn't agree more.
Many educated people did think they had no chance of winning, at least after Gettysburg and the fall of Vicksburg. The members of the high government expected to be executed for treason if they lost, which meant they had no incentive to surrender. And there's no real way for uneducated people to form an opinion other than the one passed down from above. Think for a moment about how limited most people's perspectives were. The paper, quite logically, is pro-whatever side is occupying because the editors don't want to be arrested for treason, the war is either right there or a long way away and in either case very confusing.
Very confusing

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Human nature is often to fight to the death. Why did the Germans not surrender after Stalingard? Why did communists in Spain fight Franco as guerrillas even has late as the 1960s? Some people will fight to the death and some won't. Many CSA soldiers deserted, many joined the other side and many fought to the bitter end. Different strokes for different folks.
Leftyhunter

War Horse

Captain
Silver Patron
Member of the Year
Uneducated people don't have the capacity for opinion??....I'll agree they could be more easily swayed,

So, we're making your point, which I am confused.....What is your point, as I guess I don't understand the question in your original post.....
My point is the south never had the means to sustain a war of any kind

hanna260

Sergeant Major
On a more serious note, the Confederate government was built on delusion. So, it makes sense that they would be no more rational about their odds in the war. And nothing is ever really set in stone: someone mentioned Gettysburg and Vicksburg but it could be argued that if Lincoln was not re-elected, the South could have won.

And for the common man, you fight for what you bleed for. That's human nature as lefty said, to not back down, to go on to the death: they're fighting for what they see as their rights.

Allie

Captain
Uneducated people don't have the capacity for opinion??....I'll agree they could be more easily swayed,

So, we're making your point, which I am confused.....What is your point, as I guess I don't understand the question in your original post.....
What they lack is not the capacity for having an opinion, but the ability to gather information by reading in order to form one based on something other than what's told to them by others.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Only Sherman knew the war would last a long time. Lincoln only asked for 75k men. Davis only asked for nine month regiments vs six months for the Union. We have 150 years of hindsight the leaders of the CW on both sides did not. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry and the CW is not an exception to that rule.
Leftyhunter

War Horse

Captain
Silver Patron
Member of the Year
Only Sherman knew the war would last a long time. Lincoln only asked for 75k men. Davis only asked for nine month regiments vs six months for the Union. We have 150 years of hindsight the leaders of the CW on both sides did not. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry and the CW is not an exception to that rule.
Leftyhunter
I couldn't agree more. Thanks Lefty