Why didn’t Lincoln just let the Southern states secede and leave the Union?

lurid

First Sergeant
And how does that relate to slavery and secession?
Nothing. These Lost Causers cannot connect the dots to save their own lives, let alone discern Lincoln's motives and character. Lincoln thought blacks were inferior to whites but so what, he was a product of his environment. During a time that thinking white's and blacks were equal was a revolutionary thought process. Lincoln would have been a demigod and enlightened above reproach if he thought blacks were white's equal. Actually, he would have been deemed a pariah. A freak in a side show.

Racism was common and a lifestyle during that era in any Anglo-sphere, so what are people who claim Lincoln was a white supremist trying to prove? I bet we can count on one hand the number of whites who thought blacks were equal in that era, even the so-called abolitionists. It would have been virtually impossible to find any. The real and appropriate question was how his views measured up to the accepted views of his own day. I'm sure Lincoln's thoughts on women's rights: equal opportunity, same sex marriage and religious pluralism was far behind the modern thought. I'm not saying the modern thought is correct, but that's how people misjudge Lincoln and their thinking is perfectly warped. He wanted to abolish slavery and protect the rights of all races, but his first commitment was to the Union, and he believed (as did most people then) that true equality between races was fundamentally impossible. He believed these things because the position he was in demanded that he believe them.

I read about Lincoln's childhood on how he watched his mother die from Mad Cow disease, which was a long and excruciating death. Subsequently, his dad enslaved him: worked him 20 hours a day, contracted him out for money, beat him publicly, and ridiculed him for reading books and wanting to educate himself. Lincoln's dad did to him what slaveowners did to slaves. Therefore, Lincoln could empathize with slaves. Could Lincoln empathize with blacks based on their skin color? No. But he could empathize with them because they were slaves. Yes. It didn't matter if Martians were enslaved, he was going to free them because he understood and lived through the horrors of slavery, and was released from it as an adult and wanted the enslaved to be released from it. I'm quite sure Lincoln understood the value of freedom and civil liberties better than anyone, and knew how important they were to the advancement of human character and collective society.

In conclusion, anyone who puts Lincoln on a pedestal like he was a Demigod without character flaws is bound for disappointment. If anyone judges Lincoln's as a devil and so-called racism from a modern standard are discombobulated and judge him out of context for the era he lived. Lincoln was a man with flaws and prejudices , but had the experience and knowledge to overcome his character flaws and developed into a great man. What does Lincoln's racism have to do with slavery? Nothing, it is poor analysis from people who cannot discern human nature from character progression.

lurid

First Sergeant
Is this supposed to imply that since Lincoln was racist, he was also a supporter of slavery? Because he certainly wasn't. He was opposed to slavery and wanted to remove it from the Union, his views on race relations notwithstanding.

The only problem is that you couldn't expound but I did. It's too bad they don't have a partial like button, I would have hit it...

BuckeyeWarrior

Sergeant
To get back to the original question on why Lincoln didn't let the southern states leave it's a really simple answer. Under the constitution he had no authority to let them leave. As James Buchanan said in his special address to congress;

'In my annual message I expressed the conviction, which I have long deliberately held, and which recent reflection has only tended to deepen and confirm, that no State has a right by its own act to secede from the Union or throw off its federal obligations at pleasure. I also declared my opinion to be that even if that right existed and should be exercised by any State of the Confederacy the executive department of this Government had no authority under the Constitution to recognize its validity by acknowledging the independence of such State. This left me no alternative, as the chief executive officer under the Constitution of the United States, but to collect the public revenues and to protect the public property so far as this might be practicable under existing laws. This is still my purpose. My province is to execute and not to make the laws. It belongs to Congress exclusively to repeal, to modify, or to enlarge their provisions to meet exigencies as they may occur. I possess no dispensing power." President Buchanan's special address to congress Jan 8th, 1861.