Stonewall Why did A.P. Hill hate Stonewall Jackson?

From what I've read Hill really didn't like Jackson and the feeling was mutual, how did that happen?
They weren't really that far apart in rank in The Old Army and that usually created at least a bit of resentment and competition. Jackson's reclusive personality didn't help either when Hill's Division was assigned to Jackson for what became the Second Bull Run Campaign. Lee sent Jackson a message that Hill could be trusted as a sagacious officer to help Jackson with advise and council, something Stonewall never took from anyone! Hill probably resented Jackson's notorious secretiveness and soon got on his bad side when he either mistook an order for the route of march or deliberately ignored it, thereby drawing Jackson's ire.

I think their dispute began during the Seven Days battles - Hill felt he did not get proper support from Jackson at Mechanicsville and Gaines Mills, both of which did not show Hill's best performance. It came to a point when Hill, due to criticism of straggling by Jackson, determined to march his men rapidly to Harpers Ferry gave up rest stops - which increased straggling. So, Jackson ordered a halt. This brought Little Powell to his door step - he handed Jackson his sword and said if he was going to take command of Hill's troops while Hill was present, then he didn't need a commander at all. So, Jackson put him under arrest! Later, though, Hill saved Lee's bacon at Antietam by fast marching the same division from Harpers Ferry. He also set aside his personal feelings for 'that crazy Presbyterian' to help Jackson when he was shot at Chancellorsville - he applied a tourniquet he had and kept talking to Jackson so he wouldn't fade out. I don't think either man hated the other, but they sure clashed!

A.P. Hill wasn't an easy personality either. Before his divsion was assigned to Jackson for the Second Bull Run Campaign, Hill clashed with Longstreet - to the point of duel. That's when Lee stepped in and reassigned Hill to Jackson. A short while later, Hill and Jackson clashed.

There's this article about southern generals feuding with each other. It says about A.P. Hill:

Major General A.P. Hill, one of Virginia’s favorite sons, was also known for his fiery temper. One historian calls him “probably the most contentious of the Army of Northern Virginia’s officers.” Hill quarreled with every officer he served under. After the Seven Days’ Battles, he engaged in a war of newspaper releases with Maj. Gen. James Longstreet over who deserved the most credit for the successfully completed campaign. After several volleys in the Richmond Whig and Richmond Examiner, Hill cut off all communications with Longstreet’s headquarters and demanded to be relieved from serving under Longstreet.

For his part, Longstreet heartily endorsed the request, adding a sardonic note that it was necessary “to exchange the troops or to exchange the commander.” When commanding General Robert E. Lee delayed taking action, the feud only grew worse. After Hill’s refusal to forward even routine reports to headquarters, Longstreet placed him under arrest and confined him to quarters. Hill took the next step, issuing a challenge to his commanding officer to duel. The two men began making arrangements to settle their differences on the field of honor.

The possibility of losing one or both of his finest commanders finally moved Lee to take action. He restored Hill to his command, then transferred his division to Stonewall Jackson’s corps in the Shenandoah Valley. The friendship between Hill and Longstreet was shattered beyond repair, and their relations henceforward were no better than “coldly courteous.” Lee had merely rearranged his problems, not solved them. Within a week, Hill and Jackson were squabbling, this time over Jackson’s uncommunicative command style and their differing interpretations of military protocol. That feud soon surpassed the Longstreet-Hill feud.

A. P. Hill was not a healthy man as he certainly suffered some from Prostatitis and possibly a kidney disease or failure. His symptoms were well known and qualified participants who are physicians (of which I am not) can speak further about his condition.

However, having suffered from Prostatitis at times I can state it is a miserable condition being unable to void one's bladder along with the pain!
Regards
David

I think after Gettysburg A P Hill just never had a chance to get well. Current thinking seems to be the kidney and prostatitis might have actually been left over from a bout with yellow fever in Florida rather than a bout with VD at West Point. Yellow fever can hang out in somebody's body for 40 years - or the rest of their lives - waiting for an opportunity to cause mischief in the organs. Stress provides that opportunity and Hill had a lot of it. It's no wonder a lot of the generals died only a few years after the war. He was, at any rate, a very proud man and Jackson was not all that mindful of somebody's pride...or he might have thought about it before he had Hill clomping along on foot behind his division to make sure nobody straggled! What are you doing back here, General? Aw, shut up!

Was there a "go between" for Jackson-Hill? Like Jackson-Davis or Jackson-Ashby. Seems getting along with Jackson depended on what you did, and maybe who you were. He worked good with Stuart,Ewell (although he thought Jackson crazy) and Ashby (they did have a spat over Asby's discipline of his calvary), I know of no problems with Richard Taylor . Jackson-Lorring were I believe both Brig Generals, same problem as Hill. Poor Garnett he made one mistake. But future commanders knew ; do not pull out unless driven by the enemy or ordered too.

Maybe Lee took something of a "go between" position: If I remember correctly from James I. Robertson's biography on Stonewall, Hill asked for a court-martial in the winter after Fredericksburg to clear his name. Lee asked Jackson's opinion and Jackson apparently endorsed the request along the line that he was not going to press it for he was convinced that Hill had learned his lessons and improved in commanding his troops (to Jackson's liking that is). Lee then suggested Hill to let it go but Hill wouldn't and continued pressing for that court-martial.

I don't have the exact passage before me right now (I'm at work), but I will look it up this evening.

I think their dispute began during the Seven Days battles - Hill felt he did not get proper support from Jackson at Mechanicsville and Gaines Mills, both of which did not show Hill's best performance. It came to a point when Hill, due to criticism of straggling by Jackson, determined to march his men rapidly to Harpers Ferry gave up rest stops - which increased straggling. So, Jackson ordered a halt. This brought Little Powell to his door step - he handed Jackson his sword and said if he was going to take command of Hill's troops while Hill was present, then he didn't need a commander at all. So, Jackson put him under arrest! Later, though, Hill saved Lee's bacon at Antietam by fast marching the same division from Harpers Ferry. He also set aside his personal feelings for 'that crazy Presbyterian' to help Jackson when he was shot at Chancellorsville - he applied a tourniquet he had and kept talking to Jackson so he wouldn't fade out. I don't think either man hated the other, but they sure clashed!
Hill saved Jackson at Cedar Mountain. In and around Orange, VA where they were camped it really started to come to a head. Jackson's win at Cedar Mountain only strained the relationship more...

The matter of Hill demanding a court-martial was really important because he not only felt he had been wrongly accused and subsequently mistreated by his commander, but he was also aware Jackson had a rigidity in his nature that needed to be addressed. It was as much to correct Jackson's mistakes as to clear his own name. He wanted some light shed on the reasons he was getting kicked around! Lee might have taken a stronger position with Jackson, but quite a few of Jackson's disciplinary actions were merited just over-much for the offense. Turner Ashby, for example, was a good cavalryman but didn't know how to handle his men, and did give Jackson some bad information - got to say he deserved more than a dressing down and knew it. He was an officer who could have gone up or down depending on how he was treated, and needed a commander more like Lee. Jackson might well have ruined a good cavalryman - but Ashby was killed very early on. Jackson didn't have any flexibility - one size fit all!

His friendship with Jeb Stuart was one of the most interesting in the whole war. You couldn't find two men more opposite!

Was there a "go between" for Jackson-Hill? Like Jackson-Davis or Jackson-Ashby. Seems getting along with Jackson depended on what you did, and maybe who you were. He worked good with Stuart,Ewell (although he thought Jackson crazy) and Ashby (they did have a spat over Asby's discipline of his calvary), I know of no problems with Richard Taylor . Jackson-Lorring were I believe both Brig Generals, same problem as Hill. Poor Garnett he made one mistake. But future commanders knew ; do not pull out unless driven by the enemy or ordered too.
The question reminds me that in some cases Jackson did have at least one notable "go-between" (though not in this particular case), Virginia politician and congressman Alexander Boteler. Boteler, who in Congress represented the Shenandoah Valley, served briefly as an aide on Jackson's staff and was entrusted by the usually secretive general to carry both written and verbal messages for him to Richmond during the Valley Campaign. So Jackson was in some particular cases willing to share his plans with others, just not his subordinates!

His unwillingness to do so stemmed at least in part from the only council of war he ever held, in his Winchester headquarters the night he abandoned the town to the forces of Banks. He instead wished to attack at dawn, but was dissuaded by his colonels who pointed out (correctly) that their men weren't in position to do so. During the withdrawal he snapped, to no one in particular but observed by Dr. Hunter McGuire, "That's the last time I will ever hold a council of war!"

Hill saved Jackson at Cedar Mountain. In and around Orange, VA where they were camped it really started to come to a head. Jackson's win at Cedar Mountain only strained the relationship more...
Yes he did , he also knew Hill was coming up behind him And Hill wasn't one to miss a fight.

They weren't really that far apart in rank in The Old Army and that usually created at least a bit of resentment and competition. Jackson's reclusive personality didn't help either when Hill's Division was assigned to Jackson for what became the Second Bull Run Campaign. Lee sent Jackson a message that Hill could be trusted as a sagacious officer to help Jackson with advise and council, something Stonewall never took from anyone! Hill probably resented Jackson's notorious secretiveness and soon got on his bad side when he either mistook an order for the route of march or deliberately ignored it, thereby drawing Jackson's ire.
If as you state that there was a degree of animosity between Hill and Jackson,can you explain why Jackson on his death bed called AP HILL to prepare his troops for action-indirect quote? (Who is Major Hawks) Jackson learned early in the war that it was best to keep his council to his self .

Yes he did , he also knew Hill was coming up behind him And Hill wasn't one to miss a fight.
I always think of the Lincoln story about buying liquor for the general who fought. For all his faults Hill fought. In the course of the war I think the Yanks only got Hill's command in a bad way but...not often?. And as a Yank I got a few generals I would trade for a Hill.
I wonder if there weren't times when, like at Gettysburg, Hill's sickness becomes an excuse for someone else's poor decisions. After all it was gunshot that he died off.

If as you state that there was a degree of animosity between Hill and Jackson,can you explain why Jackson on his death bed called AP HILL to prepare his troops for action-indirect quote? (Who is Major Hawks) Jackson learned early in the war that it was best to keep his council to his self .

That's in a state of delirium.

I will consult Robertson's bio later. The basic starting point is they had very different personalities, esepecially when it came to religion. We all know how Stonewall was, and we know lil Powell liked to have some fun back in his day.

The real genesis of issues in command was during the march from Cedar Mountain to 2nd manassas.

Back