CWDigitalDigest Why Collect? - Vol. V, Episode 13

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
Are you a collector? What what Civil War relics do you collect?
Published on Jun 19, 2019

In this episode, Will travels to Tennessee to meet Matt Woodburn, a long-time collector of Civil War original and a veteran living historian. This story is less about that the what of collecting and more about the “why.” Join us as Will interviews Matt about what got him hooked on collecting and why he is passionate about it. Thanks to Matt’s welcome, we will bring you episodes in the future based out of his collection. Today, let’s meet the man behind the collection!

YouTube: Channel

Civil War Digital Digest (CWDD) is your first stop for high quality videos on Civil War history, living history and Michigan Civil War history. Here the avid living historian, relaxed arm chair general and teachers will find resources that both educate and entertain.

CivilWarTalk will feature a CWDD video every Sunday when possible, either the latest offering, or a classic video from the past! Make sure you post your comments about the video below!

1561294800082.jpeg

In answer to Mike's question, as is obvious from my username and avatar I collect Civil War timepieces. Links to my new book, The Appreciation and Authentication of Civil War Timepieces, published by the non-profit NAWCC, and announcements for the new special six-month Civil War "Timeless Testaments" watch exhibit at the NAWCC Museum (514 Poplar St., Columbia, PA, 40 miles from Gettysburg) and opening day seminar (Saturday, July 6, 2019) are provided below:

Book:

https://net.nawcc.org/NAWCC/Store/

Exhibit and Seminar:

http://wp.nawcc.org/?exhibits=timeless-testaments-civil-war-era-watches-the-men-who-wore-them

I got into collecting after getting involved in re-enacting as well. Our group (42nd Indiana) set up a recruiting table at a Civil War show at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. I had never even heard of Civil War shows until then. When I walked into the fair building and saw thousands of artifacts, it was like taking that first hit of cocaine (I'm guessing). I was forever hooked. I now collect specifically Union Navy and Indiana Identified items.

I got my start when my Grandfather took my brother and I to Shiloh 47 years ago and I found found a bullet washed out of the side of the sunken road and it been game on ever since. I got my first detector the next Christmas and have been digging and collecting ever since.

It started with reading my first book on the Civil War when I was 14 and a visit to Gettysburg in the '70's. An offer to join a reenacting group and my first artifact, a 12 lb Borman shell, dug in a ladies back yard in Fredricksburg in the 80's. I collect because " they were there" or "a witness to the battle".

It started with reading my first book on the Civil War when I was 14 and a visit to Gettysburg in the '70's. An offer to join a reenacting group and my first artifact, a 12 lb Borman shell, dug in a ladies back yard in Fredricksburg in the 80's. I collect because " they were there" or "a witness to the battle".

First item wver purchased was a CS bond. From there i continued building my bond collection and transitioned into CS documents and really narrowed that focus into army of tennessee-related documents(pay apps, forage requisitions, commutation for quarters docs, etc etc. i’m now starting to expand into other used items, from artillery to buttons/bullets to edges weapons. I’m just starting in that area and trying to be cautious and learn as i look at different pieces.

Back