Why activated militia companies were not properly trained with the bayonet.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
A picture is worth a thousand words.

bayo.jpg

Some of you will have see "A Militia Muster" by David Caypoole Johnson. I am not sure which would be worse a hole in your hat or a hole in your back side. Still this painting, while humorous, does have some accuracy about the uselessness of beat militia at the start of the Civil War. Uniformed militia and independent militia were only a bit more useful at the start of the War.

I should start a contest. When I was a private to sergeant in the Michigan National Guard I was stuck with bayonets at least five times, all of which drew blood. Including twice in one day. Who can top five blue on blue "bayonet" wounds? Sadly, blue on blue bayonet wounds do not qualify for a purple heart.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 346740
Some of you will have see "A Militia Muster" by David Caypoole Johnson. I am not sure which would be worse a hole in your hat or a hole in your back side. Still this painting, while humorous, does have some accuracy about the uselessness of beat militia at the start of the Civil War. Uniformed militia and independent militia were only a bit more useful at the start of the War.

I should start a contest. When I was a private to sergeant in the Michigan National Guard I was stuck with bayonets at least five times, all of which drew blood. Including twice in one day. Who can top five blue on blue "bayonet" wounds? Sadly, blue on blue bayonet wounds do not qualify for a purple heart.

After five incidents, I have to wonder how many were intentional.

Ryan

Back