Who Would You Fight For North Or South Where You Live Today...

This might have been difficult to answer honestly as I live in the southern part of a border state, less than 45 miles north of a Confederate state. But of my ancestors who lived in this area at the time, nearly all lived closer to Arkansas than I do now, and many 'in' Northwest Arkansas, and all served with Union regiments, including the 2nd Kansas Cavalry, 1st Arkansas Cavalry, 8th Missouri Cavalry, 24th Missouri Infantry, and militia outfits, I suspect I would have stayed loyal to the country that another of my ancestors died at Valley Forge helping create.

Although one served with the Enrolled Missouri Militia, and named his war born son, Jefferson Davis, so I suspect his complete loyalty to the Union was questionable. :whistling: :D

I live in Holly Springs, GA but am originally from New York. So I figure I’m in the US Army at the time from NY stationed in Georgia and would return home to fight for the Union

Ironic to fight for freedom that included freedom to own slaves and freedom from the federal government abolishing slavery.

But I think the apologists are right that the average Confederate soldier was, while by no means anti-slavery, motivated by more of a stubbornness and pride. "You ain't from here. You ain't one of us. You can't tell me what to do." That attitude seems as Southern as fried okra.
white southerners or black southerners? Because they had different ah, perspectives on their society.

The secessionists had no good reason to leave. They left in response to a free and fair democratic election because they were dissatisfied with the result. They left unilaterally rather than making any effort to use Congress to effect peaceful, multilateral, mutually acceptable separation.

They deserved to be stomped into oblivion.

There were many compromises, in hopes of peace. They just didn't up and stomp off. It was years of compromises that did little, and went against their favor anyway.

And another thing. As cruel as it was, slavery was a right they had. The government tried to take that right away. The government is not allowed to take rights away from its citizens. When Abe Lincoln was elected, they thought all of that compromise went to waste (it did), and he was going to crash their only economic income. You know how the story goes. Politicians secede the states, the citizens are left to fight for it. They'd be d*mned to fight against their own states.

Different men from North Carolina went different ways. More fought for the Confederacy but many fought for the Union and many tried not to fight at all or decided to quit fighting.
The old saying " different strokes for different folks".
Leftyhunter
Less than 3% of white North Carolinians. Also ,NC contributed 1/5 to 1/6th of manpower for the confederacy. Exaggerate much?

Being a Brit I’d have to be an observer, I’d probably drink a lot of tea and enjoy the fact that I was neutral, I’d also travel around for a bit, maybe chill out with Grant over a whiskey and then hop over to the other side and enjoy a shad bake and a glass of Champaign with Pickett. You know, war is terribly good fun when you don’t have to get involved...what what.

Less than 3% of white North Carolinians. Also ,NC contributed 1/5 to 1/6th of manpower for the confederacy. Exaggerate much?
No not at all. From that same article 24k North Carolina soldiers deserted and five thousand black North Carolina men joined the USCT. Also the article notes many North Carolina troops were drafted . We also know there were Unionist guerrillas in Western North Carolina.
Add it all up and that's over thirty thousand men not a small percentage of North Carolina manpower.
Leftyhunter

Back