Who Would You Fight For North Or South Where You Live Today...

chaloner

Private
If it's 1861 where you live today which side you would fight for? I live in San Diego back then Southern California wanted to secede from California and join the Confederacy. So I believe I would be a reb. :lee: :sabre:

scylRVPnu09emp1C6Vul1gaksCjdyX4JrmAuM4_JscnxxfJtkQ.jpg
flagnc-jpg.jpg

1581656475246.jpeg

If it's 1861 where you live today which side you would fight for? I live in San Diego back then Southern California wanted to secede from California and join the Confederacy. So I believe I would be a reb. :lee: :sabre:

View attachment 346601View attachment 346602

View attachment 346599
I live in Ohio so I’d fight for the Union. I’d like to think I would have been a radical abolitionist and helped with the Underground Railroad. However, I’m realistic enough to know we are products of our environment so who knows what positions any of us would have taken.

Definitely the Union, and preferably a unit from Pennsylvania. Oddly enough, during my days in the USMC I remember my old unit was mostly people from the northeast and Midwest. I do remember some southerners during boot camp, but don't remember any that were in my battalion.

My family has been in Virginia since the Jamestown days and I had all eight GGGrandfathers serve in the CS army. One of them was in NC when the war broke out and joined a NC regiment, the other seven fought in VA regiments. I suppose I am pretty well entrenched as a Virginian so there would be no hesitation as to which side I would chose.

As it stands, I would have to go out into the back yard & fight it out with myself. Now a days, I would also have to pick a side in the Chinese Civil War... somehow a three way war with myself sounds like it would be very confusing.

Now that would make an interesting movie especially if Tarantino directed :D

I can't see myself committing treason in order to defend slavery. Who can?

I can see committing treason, to avoid fighting against my own home, my own people, my lands and my property, and defending it from the hands of federal soldiers who neither care for us, nor care about our property. (property meaning homes, crops, valuables, etc. not slaves)

Nice Flags "Chaloner". I'm doing family genealogy for two friends in the office. His GGG GF was in the 142nd PA and her GG GF was in the 1st NC. They were both in brigades that pretty much opposed each other in the Battle of the wilderness, with the latter Being wounded.

All my direct paternal ancestors were in Fayette County VA/WV where there was a civil war within the war.

Back